Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has everyone finished for the year  (Read 12855 times)

Mel

Has everyone finished for the year
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:54:02 pm »
 :wave:
I have noticed that the veg area is very quiet,are we all done for the year? Anyone winter growing anything in their poly's?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Has everyone finished for the year
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:29 am »
Christmas potatoes well under way. Trying caulis in the poly but only little at the moment. Cucumber still growing.Going to try lettuce in the poly too.

Chilli plants still tryingto ripen. Have brought 2 indoors as it looks like the cold is starting to affect them now  :(only 1 pumpkin,  :fc: it ripens.

Don't know how much longer the runner beans will continue. But the turnip, leeks and sprouts doing ok. Not looked at the parsnip yet. First time I've grown them, so hoping for a nice Christmas crop  :fc:

Just bought red onions and garlic for the beds.

Oh and my fig tree is finally ripening 1 fine fig  :yum: ( had it a few years now and they usually drop off at a young stage )

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:05 am »
I have to confess to not even starting this year  :-\
It's just been sooooo wet  :( Maybe next year  ;)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:36 am »
We're trying some oriental greens for the first time, pak choi, Mizuna etc. also got some spring cabbage on the go. Outdoors we've also put in some Japanese onions. Harvesting wise, runner beans going strong, cabbage and turnip coming on slowly.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:54:02 am »
We've had a very poor year this year so we're already working on next year. Just built some raised beds which have young cabbage, broccoli, kale and sprouts in them to over winter. Got potatoes and carrots in the tunnel hopefully will get a crop for xmas. Still trying to ripen a couple of pumpkins in the tunnel too.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:32 am »
We've still got runner beans romping away in the Poly......had an amazing crop this year.  Still got loads of beef tomatoes in there too.......GREEN!!.....I think I'm gonna have to bring 'em indoors  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:03:55 am »
Its been a very poor veg year for me, even in the polly tunnel things have been so slow. If this weather keeps up I might not bother next Spring. Its a lot of work for very little  :gloomy:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
What do you mean finished, our veg garden just never really got started despite spending loads of time sowing seeds, nothing grew except weeds (an exceptional year for nettles)!
Last nights frost was the final straw for the courgettes so they'll be ripped out the polytunnel later today, still got loads of toms but they're green and i think will need transferring to the greenhouse to ripen, have cabbages on standby to go into the polytunnel once the toms have finished but it will need severe rabbit proofing before i do, found a dead 'un in there yesterday just laid like it had gone to sleep, possibly scoffed some of the rat poison we have down? Very poor year all round, don't think i've ever known it this bad. :thinking:
Mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:17 pm »
I think we need to post location on this thread. It helps us guess what kind of climate and the length of day light each has to work with. The spring-autumn growing season will differ significantly with latitude so my guess is that those with a polytunnel live in the north.
Best that I do not complicate things by listing what we have in the veg garden today. We certainly do not have a polytunnel but then we live the same distance from London as those of you who live north of Aberdeen. It is just that we live in the south.
Martin ( Limousin,France)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Glebegrower

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:24 am »
Hi I totally agree on the location aspect makes a massive difference !!i am in herfordshire 20 miles north of London
my year never really finishes -still working my way through glorious sweetcorn,last of the courgettes tomatoes ,aubergines ,Chinese cabbage ,leeks ,cauliflower ,rench beans (although we had a real dip in temperature and they have just about had it ) spinach bok choi mizuna bunch carrots ( havent touched the main crop yet ) beetroot, brocolli ,bulb fenell red chicory,various lettuces -i'm sure theres more especially if you include the fruit .
coming on stream for winter - calvo nero ,curly cale  various cabbages,various broccolii ,russell sprouts ,celeriac various lettuce and greens -lots of bok choi (i can keep this going quite late into the year outside and almost all the year round in the glasshouses ) spring onions, swiss chard, parsnip ,tunips ,swedes lambs lettuce, spinach, spring greens

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:18 am »
That an amazing assortment of veg - I hope that you have a good market for that lot or a very large family. I met someone from Northumbria once who told me that they can not ripen tomatoes outside !!!! Not sure if that is true but I am sure many in the UK do not have the long growing season you do in Hereford.
I did not enter the spud competition becuase we have a different growing season and my neighbour let me have 4 rows in her garden that her son had ploughed up ( not sure of the soil quailty). Anyway my point is that when others were talking about mud and rotting veg we had a drought. Both our families had to help with the spud harvest at my neighbours so we could get it done before noon - it was 36 degrees.
The spuds were very small !! But the few I grew in my garden near the stream were much bigger because I could water them.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »
I met someone from Northumbria once who told me that they can not ripen tomatoes outside !!!! Not sure if that is true but I am sure many in the UK do not have the long growing season you do in Hereford.

True anything north of the line that crosses britiain at the humber estuary struggles unless you've got a nice south facing sheltered wall. In North Yorkshire i can grow butternut squash but cannot get them to ripen the seasons just too short, tried sowing early undercover in greenhouse and transplanting to muck heap but by end of sept they're curling up their toes and the jobs knackered leaving pale green fruits about the size of a tennis ball. One of my friends tried growing sweet potatoes this year but same thing too cold and too wet and too short a season in these parts. But would i live anywhere else.......nah......Yorkshire's God's country and on a day like today  :sunshine: you can't beat it.
mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
Shame about the gardening challenges but what the heck - if you are happy and luv your home (and Yorkshire) then "life is beautiful" and the yellow-near red tomatoe "is good as it gets".   ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
MAK I'm from North Yorkshire too and we really suffer with the winds but like you its worth sticking with it as the views are breath taking, shame I can't same the same about my veg plot!  :roflanim:
Red

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »
That an amazing assortment of veg - I hope that you have a good market for that lot or a very large family. I met someone from Northumbria once who told me that they can not ripen tomatoes outside !!!!

Well, I couldn't even ripen tomatoes in my mini greenhouse... Admittedly, one of those cheap plastic ones - no space for more, and no money, either - but that trial didn't work out. Made a couple of jars of green tomato chutney today (and I don't even eat chutney!).

But I do still have chard outside - wonder whether that's frost hardy? Also a few little gems. And I'm getting the raised bed ready for onions, and really do have to get my peas and broad beans in before the next big rain (or snow).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS