Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cucumber recipes please!  (Read 4109 times)

Sunshine78

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Angus, Scotland
Cucumber recipes please!
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:51:45 am »
Hi all  :wave:

i've got loads of cucumbers growing in the polytunnel which I am delighted about however, I'm not sure what to do with them all.  Last year I made cucumber and mint soup and I could do this again but I was wondering what everyone does, do you pickle them and if so is it easy to do?  If you have any other recipes too I would be interested. :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Cucumber recipes please!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »
There are a few ways to pickle sliced cucumber, basically its with sliced onion and herbs . If you google the recipies you could choose one. I do pickle them to a recipe called Bread and Butter Pickle but it is also called summer pickle. It is a sweet pickle and lovely with cheese.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »
My dear old Mum used to make the bread and butter pickle and its absolutely FABULOUS!!! We used to eat it with everything, but its made to go into sandwiches due to the way the cucumber is sliced so thinly. It keeps so well in Kilner jars too, so it will keep until Christmas Im sure.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »
We also had a glut of cucumbers and I googled cucumber recipes - we ended up with tom and cuc relish, pickled cucs and also a cuc and courgette type pickle/relish.

Can't report on how successful it's all been cos we haven't tried any yet!  :innocent:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:39 am »
We make cucumber and thyme soup - dead easy and delicious. Peel and seed the cucumbers and chop into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces. Saute in some oil for 10-15 mins, then add good quality stock, some sprigs of thyme and season with salt & pepper. After simmering for a little while, remove the thyme and blitz the soup.  :yum:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
Cucumber sandwiches?

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »
Cucumber and apple chutney!!!!  We grew more cucumbers thi syears specifically for this chutney.  It's great with curries (instead of a lime pickle type thing); great in sarnies; with cheese/cold meats; toasties...it's really wonderful.

http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipes/chutneys/cucumber-and-apple-chutney

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:49 pm »
Thinly slice cucumber on a cold plate, be generous with a fruity balsamic; some tasty olive oil.
 Frighten with some cracked pepper, scare with some cornish sea salt,
 Garnish with the finest parmeggano reggiano.

enough said. invite friends to break bread.

:tree:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:08 pm »
Thinly slice cucumber on a cold plate, be generous with a fruity balsamic; some tasty olive oil.

this is one of the finest and simplest dishes known to man!!!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:34 am »
Tiziki!
I make it all of the time,

1 or 2 cucumbers peeled, deseeded and finely grated, leave in sieve and 1/2 teaspoon salt to drain a little
meanwhile crush garlic,
put cucumber into a bowl, mix in the garlic then add greek yogurt (I put in a big tub) and sometimes I add sour cream, but always add a few table spoons of olive oil then add lemon juice to taste. nom nom nom. serve with just about anything, can be used as side dish to meat, dip  or salad dressing  :yum:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

That sounds bloomin' lovely!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS