Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to look for when buying a horse trailer- Advice please.  (Read 2274 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
What to look for when buying a horse trailer- Advice please.
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:42 pm »
Good evening

I am currently looking to purchase a horse trailer. I have decided upon the ifor Williams 510.

I have never owned a trailer and have always used a horsebox. However now my horsebox is on its last legs so i need another form of transport.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the areas to look at and probelms to look out for on the ifor Williams trailers. How do you check that it is genuine? I know they should all have a plate on them with the manufactures details on, however how/where can i check this is all ok?

Any advice welcomed

Thank you

Emily

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: What to look for when buying a horse trailer- Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:08:23 pm »
Going on experience, check the wood is sound especially around the bottom of the sides and top of the ramp. The newer old type have the metal floor which is less likely to be rotten. We purchased a 510 recently from a friend, we had borrowed it and our horses foot went straight through the floor at the top of the ramp, on further inspection the wet had got in and the wood had turned to mush. We since bought it off them and have replaced the ramp and both sides need doing soon aswell.
On the plus side they are great trailers and tow lovely.
Happy hunting!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
Ifor Williams have their own register of trailer owners, so before you visit, get the serial number of the trailer from the seller. IW will then be able to check this for you to ensure it hasn't been reported stolen  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:34 am »
Also consider a  of the Equipment Register (TER) all Ifors are uploaded to this and other makes too, plus any info on past history eg whether finance is outstanding - updates may have gone to this register and not Ifors in house one or vice versa. You can also register your ownership of the trailer once bought, which helps if it is stolen in the future.
http://www.ter-europe.org/content/home

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS