Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: International 1055: a couple of questions...  (Read 9315 times)

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
International 1055: a couple of questions...
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:47 am »
Following on from my last thread: http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=27664.0 I may have just bought an IH 1055   :innocent:

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/3/1/2310-international-harvester-1055-engine.html

Does anyone have any experience with them? Not too sure what I have let myself in for, but I'm always up for a challenge 

It's a 1978 T reg, done circa 8000 hours. As with all old machines, there is a catch; it's got no oil pressure. The previous owner tells me, he was towing a trailer, noticed engine temp started to get a bit high, so he pulled over to top her up with water, however, the water level was fine. He got it back to the yard (about 1 mile away) and noticed the oil pressure gauge was reading no pressure. He mentioned that he started to hear a slight knock, so he turned it off and it's sat there ever since (not sure how long, but we are talking at least 2 years - was last taxed in 2001).

What I do know is, that there is no water in the oil, so at least that's one good point.

Not too sure where to start with this, as I've never owned a tractor before, nor anything with a 6L engine.

I'm hoping it's the oil pump that's gone. What are your thoughts? Best place for parts etc?  I've stuck this on the Classic Machinery Forum as well. 

Anyway, got to make some room for her. Luckily, I've only got to move her 10 yards to get her home.

Thanks,

TCS

p.s. it's not got a battery, so any pointers on size of battery required would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:48:06 am by TheCountrySquire »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: International 1055: a couple of questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:20:47 am »
Ok, Have just read this to OH who is an Agric mechanic and a big International fan. He says, if the engine is making a knocking noise then it sounds to him like the crank is scored and the engine most likely needs stripping right down to remove the crank and have it re-ground and new shells fitted, big ends and mains. Quite a big and expensive job .
If you want any advice then a can pm you his number.

I don't know where in the country you are but he says he knows where there is a tidy 956!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:22:47 am by Sbom »

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »
Mt first thought is crank but I bow to others with more knowledge.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies Sbom & MAK.

I've got her sat on my yard now, but apparently, it might not be the oil pressure that's gone. I've now got a dilemma of either starting her up and seeing what happens, but run the risk of doing a lot of damage, or strip her down and look for a problem of some description??

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
If he ran it without oil pressure for a mile I'm not sure you cranking it up briefly will do much more damage (although the oil will have drained down over 2 years).

possible causes for sudden(?) loss of oil pressure: broken crank/main/bigend/camshaft bearing,oil pump, oil feed pipe, oil pressure relief valve, no oil, or cracked casting with oil passage - quite a lot of things to check unless you fancy a stripdown and rebuild.

...but apparently, it might not be the oil pressure that's gone...
Any reasons behind this thought?

OK, this reminds me of an old peugeot I was asked to fix many years ago: would run ok for several minutes then the oil light would come on - turned out to be the radiator bottom hose - no water so would get very hot and oil pressure would be lost (not sure of the mechanism for loss of oil pressure; oil getting very runny? vaporising in the pump inlet?). Point is, once there was water in the engine again the problem went away.

This is a long shot, maybe, but a possible explanation based on the peugeot problem:- If the thermostat failed the tractor would get hot; driver checks water - but there's plenty - it's just not getting to the radiator. Driver continues for a mile, engine getting hotter, water boiling off (?) oil pressure dropping as temp goes up - hence no oil pressure on arrival.

if it were me, I'd (having got a battery) turn it over on the starter  (fuel off) and see in you can get any oil pressure. if you get a little bit of pressure, then i'd try and fire her up and see.

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:06:45 am »
mab - thanks for that; It sounds like a plan!  I'm going to source a battery tomorrow and turn her over with the fuel off and see what happens to the oil pressure.

I'll report back. 

Thanks again,

TCS

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »
You might consider putting a little oil down the bores first given two years of nothing after running without pressure.

Blocked oil filter also comes to mind.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

possible causes for sudden(?) loss of oil pressure: broken crank/main/bigend/camshaft bearing,oil pump, oil feed pipe, oil pressure relief valve, no oil, or cracked casting with oil passage - quite a lot of things to check unless you fancy a stripdown and rebuild.

Don't forget the old 'sod's law' chestnut: The oil pressure guage is broken.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:26:23 am »
To diagnose this problem you need a separate oil pressure gauge. It is no more difficult than going to the doctors and having your blood pressure checked. Try and source an oil pressure kit , even buy one off e-bay or something, not expensive compared to engines, cranks, pumps, labour etc.
I have a couple of oil pressure test kits, would help if I could. Where is the tractor ?

A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 12:23:35 am »
Thanks again for the replies.

Odin - I'm in North Derbyshire.

Fingers crossed it's a broken gauge  :fc:

Anyway, I've stuck the battery on charge, so will give her a go tomorrow all going well.

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:48 am »
Hi. Where abouts in derbyshire are you. Anywhere near Bakewell.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 06:47:13 am »
You arn't a million miles away, its time. How far from Sheffield are you ? And how much of a rush are you in to get it running?
A son of the soil .

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 10:29:21 pm »
I'm near Matlock/Alfreton area - about 10 mins from J28 of the M1.

I'm not in too much of a rush...

TheCountrySquire

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:47:33 am »
Just a quick update. 

I've since started her up.  She runs and moves under her own steam.  Unfortunately there is an oil leak; suspect rear crankshaft oil seal (only leaks when the engine is running) and there appears to be a knock when under load.  The good/strange thing is, the oil light comes on as it should when the ignition comes on and goes off when it's running.  So not sure about the oil pressure problem any more.  Could do with getting my hands on a tester (keep looking on ebay).

I've been speaking to the chaps over on the British Farming Forum as well and they, like you, have been a great help with the advice.

I'm going to pop a video of her running on youtube and will post the link on here. 

I'm learning very fast; well trying to anyway.

Thanks,

TCS

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:23:25 am »
How bad is the oil leak ? One drip per minute or a pool per minute ?
 Up to one drip per minute then I would not be too concerned until satisfied that the engine is in good condition.
It is good to know that the oil light is going out which suggest a pressure of 40psi which is a minimum for a reasonable engine, but a gauge is still a must.
New oil and filter will help and getting the engine up to operating temperature is important, as is plenty antifreeze in the system.  :thumbsup:
A son of the soil .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS