Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mauled lamb walking on knuckle -back leg. Help.  (Read 4496 times)

judee

• Joined Sep 2010
Mauled lamb walking on knuckle -back leg. Help.
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:27 pm »
A Boreray lamb that has been mauled by a dog is making a good general recovery but is unable to place it's back foot correctly to walk. At present it hobbles on it's knuckle . My vet says it may improve but I am keen to protect the skin covering the knuckle and to encourage correct walking position. Has anyone any experience or ideas of how I might do this? I have tried vet tape and various splints. Thanks for any ideas.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mauled lamb walking on knuckle -back leg. Help.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:41:40 am »
Hi Judee.  How long ago did the attack happen?   Your lamb could have permanent nerve or ligament damage, but only time will tell.  Meanwhile you can do some simple physio to stretch and straighten the foot and get it back into a walking position. 

We have had a sheep which had a similar injury when it jumped a fence and got it's leg caught halfway over.  It walked with the foot bent under for a good week but did make a full recovery  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:02:37 am »
I had a lamb who got himself trapped under the hay hake. No splints etc used. He walked on his knuckle for weeks and weeks and I was just about ready to call out the knackers.....until I went in the field one day and couldnt pick him out from the others....I was amazed.
I would be tempted to leave well alone and let nature do its work, just from this experience...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:53 am »
We have had a sheep which had a similar injury when it jumped a fence and got it's leg caught halfway over.  It walked with the foot bent under for a good week but did make a full recovery  :sheep:
Ditto, twice, but it took longer than a week for ours.  In both cases you could not in the end pick the previously injured sheep out from the rest of the bunch.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

judee

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your replies, strangely just today the lamb has started to put it's foot correctly, a couple of times only so far but.... which shows that there is some sensation going on and some control! I will try everything, some periods of no support, some with velcro wrap and daily "physiotherapy". It is one week since the dog attack.
Best wishes and thanks again.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »
As it's only one week I would say your lamb has a good chance of recovery  :thumbsup: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS