Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can we change the world??  (Read 8078 times)

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
can we change the world??
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:12:45 pm »
I dont know about anyone else , but since we started out on this mad cap adventure of ours- the number of people who seem genuinley interested in what we do has risen dramatically. when we first got our piggies , the idea was to keep half a pig for ourselves and sell off the other 1 1/2 to cover the cost of rearing them. my initial concern was we would be unable to sell the rest and end up buying another freezer to store all the pork in!!! :o.however , as soon as we mentioned we had some for sale (we sell it as 1/4 of a pig) it sold within 2 days by word of mouth. the second (current) batch of piggies were sold before we had even got them , and we have already booked out most of the next batch and we havent even decided which variety to get!!! the meat chickens are the same , we reared 15 and could have sold them 3 times over. now - i know i bore the pants off my collegues at work when i go on about our lifestyle and they all think im one strawberry short of a punnet - but it is gratifying to know that people are getting more concerned about the quality of the foods they eat and - more importantly- keen to ensure animals have been reared in a natural and sympathetic way , hopefully with more people trying to do what all strive to achieve (just look at the number of members of these forums) , we can all change peoples views and perceptions to a more ecological and sustainable stance. ;D
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: can we change the world??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:18:52 am »
like wise guy; i am going to my old golf society annual meeting tonight, no longer to find out the schedule for this year, but to confirm delivery of 1/2 pigs to three of the chaps. I have had a job convincing folk that pigs only have two halves so i cannot supply everyone. i don't think we can make much of a dent in the commercial world of supermarkets etc, but we can spread a little goodness.
carl

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:24:50 pm »
He he
One voice is all it takes !!!
Two people actions can rule the world
lol

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:36:55 pm »
" one voice , singing in the darkness!!!!" - isnt that a song?? lol :D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »
hehe it is

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:56 am »
It only takes one voice to start, as others join in, as long as they all sing in tune, then eventually you have a choir, and from there well.....

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:05:24 pm »
As long as you have a plan anything is possible :)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:31:54 pm »
Totally agree with you Guy, and I don't even think we're boring people. :)

Everyone - family, friends, work colleagues all ask after my animals and eagerly wait for news of what we'll be 'up to' next. Some TV programmes seem to have already changed people perception of the food they eat and made them more conscious about where it comes from. Add to that the mere mention that there are ways to power and heat your home and drive your car cheaper - ways that give you power (in more ways than one) to take a stand and say 'no' to the big companies who are constantly ripping us off  >:( - people are listening and taking note.

I think things will gradually change. I know many people who would love to do what we are doing, but come up with reasons why they can't. Let's just lead the way and show them that they can.

Just look at the things you find when you Google 'smallholder' or 'self sufficiency' it's already bigger than we probably realise.

Pebbles
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 04:33:27 pm by Pebbles »

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
You may be right in the sense that more people than we realise are interested in this - even if they only start off with a few tomato plants or the like - but honestly , i do think i am boring some of my collegues!!!!lol :D

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »
I totally agree with you Pebbles, Most of our friends are interested in what we are doing & would love to do it...

Maybe this is what was meant when they said 'back to basics'  :P

There will always be people out there who just don't want to do it or can't be bothered, but hey were happy were doing our bit & guess what I started off with a few tomato plants our neighbour gave us  :D

Take Care
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS