Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone an electrician - I need a bit of advice - FIXED  (Read 5787 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Anyone an electrician - I need a bit of advice - FIXED
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
 :thumbsup: glad you found it.

There are a lot of LED GU10 bulbs out there. I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer as to which are the best.

Beware of cheap LED lamps that claim to be 'equivalent' to GU10 but don't give a lumens output. An incandescent GU10 gives out about 350-380 lumens (50w) so you need to find LEDs that quote a lumen output that's similar for warm white (cool whites are more efficient so will give higher lumens/watt).

compact fluorescents typically give 5 times more lumens / watt than incandescent.
LEDs vary from about 5 to 10 times the lumens /watt than incandescent.

colour: standard GU10 halogen lamps are ~2800K - 3000K colour temp;

I have used these before; they're not cheap and are not dimmable but are standard size, 300 lumens (they say about 40w equivalent), are properly warm white (if that's what you want) and only use 4.9w:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTGU9WW.html

there are dimmable ones but will only work with a standard dimmer if you leave one standard bulb. Or you can buy LED dimmers.

SF you beat me to it!

having read SF's excellent points i'd add:- beware of very high power bulbs as they can overheat in well insulated downlighters (though some have fans built in to combat this). I've not had problems with failures (except for one with lots of small leds), but then I try to keep a good air space around the fittings for cooling. LED's run much cooler than standard bulbs of course, but being electronic they don't tolerate heat very well.

I've used the LEDs I referenced above in fire-rated downlighters (i.e. enclosed) without trouble.

marcus

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS