Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing new hens to an existing flock  (Read 5191 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Introducing new hens to an existing flock
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »
we've decided to get some more hens (it wasn't hard, more is always better) but I just wanted to check if I need to take any precautions before we get them. We'll be getting pullets. Oh, and they'll all be free ranging, we can confine them to a biggish enclosure if required.

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Introducing new hens to an existing flock
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
They should be fine to just go be free  :thumbsup:

I would keep an eye on them for the first 20 minutes make sure they are not bullied or bullying.

Also make sure they are eating - they may get pushed a side from the others come feed time.

HTH
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »
that does help, TYVM.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »
It is probably best for new hens to be kept separate from the existing flock for about 3 wks ..... in case of infection. Not always practical I know.

I always separate the coop and run with wire initially in order that the hens can see each other but not have actual contact. This means that when you remove the wire there is usually little aggression, as the new hens are not seen as strangers. Also it means that there is no competition for food or water.

Other people pop the new hens into the coop at night. I have assumed that the new birds are to share a coop/run.

Personally I would keep the new birds in the coop and run for at least a week before allowing them to fully free range. This allows them time to think of the coop as home and you are less likely to have problems with them choosing to roost out or lay their eggs outdoors.

;D

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:25:49 pm »
This is another case of going against the advice of poultry keepers that have had years of practical experiance behind them and putting new birds in with an existing flock.

Practically every book (and there are a few now) will state that you keep new birds well away from the birds already set up in the coop.

The reasons being not only that new birds will not be welcome into a flock which has a pecking order already established, but the birds being brought in will carry a different set of immunities to the birds already there.

Both new birds and old will be put under stress and stress will trigger alsorts of illnesses and reactions to the introduction. You will get a mix of bacteria and in some birds no resistance to them and they get ill.

Never the less you get given advice by keepers that ignore these facts and introduce them and the birds get sick and die.

It may work for those who have done it, but would you want to risk it?

A little bit of knowlage is a dangerous thing. :innocent:

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »
Yes, agree CF - best to keep new birds isolated for around 3 wks. IF you can't then best to reduce stress as much as possible ie. separate birds as much as possible, provide additional feeders etc. In my opinion.

I keep new birds in a spare ark for around 3 wks and then separate the coop they will join with wire to ensure their introduction is as stress free as possible on all concerned. Including me.   ;D

Mel

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:42 pm »
And I third that,I have 20 pullets at point of lay and there is no way I would put them near my "ageing" flock,I have made another run and coop just for them,they shall be in there until at least March next year,over the winter I shall extend their run though for 20 hens I have managed to make a run 100ft x 100ft and they seem to be very happy,just started laying their tiny eggs yesterday!

I only know this from experience and taking the wrong information from someone,I had once put new birds with the old,it was a nightmare,I lost half the flock back then.What some may not realise is that in this example,within the older flock,some had infectious coryza,seemingly within their system,but were not showing symptoms at all until I introduced new birds.Then some were coughing,some with eyes like balloons,it was a nightmare.

Since then,I always have the most strict bio~security in every pen,they all free range and I know not everyone has the space to do so,but they must must must be kept separated in the first instance.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »
This is another case of going against the advice of poultry keepers that have had years of practical experiance behind them and putting new birds in with an existing flock.

Practically every book (and there are a few now) will state that you keep new birds well away from the birds already set up in the coop.

The reasons being not only that new birds will not be welcome into a flock which has a pecking order already established, but the birds being brought in will carry a different set of immunities to the birds already there.

Both new birds and old will be put under stress and stress will trigger alsorts of illnesses and reactions to the introduction. You will get a mix of bacteria and in some birds no resistance to them and they get ill.

Never the less you get given advice by keepers that ignore these facts and introduce them and the birds get sick and die.

Our problem on the forum is many of us are working as Accidental SMALLHOLDERS. That's to say we're often where we are 'by accident'  and the amount of land and facilities we have are often small. It's not always possible to do things the ideal way.

Also the information available is often conflicting, and we take a course of action which some might never do, but it's the only one open to us due to our circumstances.

We've seen a few incidents of 'experts' getting the hump on here because someone isn't doing it their way.
Cut us a bit of slack.

http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 08:44:39 am »

Our problem on the forum is many of us are working as Accidental SMALLHOLDERS. That's to say we're often where we are 'by accident'  and the amount of land and facilities we have are often small. It's not always possible to do things the ideal way.

Also the information available is often conflicting, and we take a course of action which some might never do, but it's the only one open to us due to our circumstances.

We've seen a few incidents of 'experts' getting the hump on here because someone isn't doing it their way.
Cut us a bit of slack.

http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens

well said Moleskins. There's ways of helping and then there's both boots going in first and putting new smallholders off of asking questions! I think TAS is a brilliant forum with lots of supportive members at varying levels, keeping it friendly will make sure everyone learns from each other rather than feeling they are unwelcome.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 02:44:33 pm »
Yeh! right O.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
I notice you keep picking on my posts Castle Farm? is it just me or a few of us? I apologise for being 'provocative' on the other thread.  I'd rather keep this to poultry keeping though than whatever your agenda is. Thank you.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 07:03:55 pm »
Feeding your troll Plums is getting you nowhere fast.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »
Hey, this needs to chill!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 07:13:07 pm »
Think Dan has posted about this in the other related thread.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS