Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats Breeding Age  (Read 3810 times)

andusbeckus

• Joined Oct 2012
Goats Breeding Age
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:08:05 am »
Hi, I would like some info on the minimum age that Pygmy Goats should breed and the effects that young pregnancy can have. We have a 5 month old that we think is pregnant.

Thank You

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats Breeding Age
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:06 am »
Yes it should have waited until next year but I have heard of young sheep having offspring in their first year and being ok.  Depends on who she has mated with (size etc) and the size of herself - I know our pygmy is quite a bit bigger this year (will be her first mating this autumn but she's not in season yet) than last year.  At 5 months she must still be fairly small.   I would keep the vets number at the ready, may need help.  She may get a bit of a shock too and not be ready to claim it so may need help with the feeding, make sure you have a colostrum mix on hand - it's not cheap so maybe a local farmer could give you a bit - make sure it's in date.
These things happen, hope it all goes well for her (and you).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:36 am »
If you do not know the size of the (possible) sire, than I would be inclined to ask the vet if they can inject her to abort the pregnancy at this early stage. Unless you are very experienced with Pygmies you risk serious damage to her growth rate, pregnancy toxeamia and problems at kidding.
But that is my personal opinion, and the step I would take with my goats.
Speak to the vets, and maybe get some advice from the Pygmy Goat Society (or similar organisation).

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:02 pm »
It's a bit late now but....

I don't think goats should be mated until they're 18 months, so they kid around their second birthday.
Until then they're not fully grown themselves.

I lost one, very dear, goat to pregnancy toxaemia when I took the advice of an experienced goat-keeper and mated her as a kid. I was devastated and wished I had not listened and stuck to my own feelings about it. I now find the woman is in a minority of one on this view in our goat society but very vociferous about it - I am furious she peddles her mad view to newbies and think she contributed to Daisy dying.

If, as Anke says, the pregnancy can be terminated, I'd do that.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:20:07 pm »
May I ask why you think she is pregnant?
5 month seems very young to have mated and be already showing symtoms? (not saying it's impossible)
any idea how far on she may be?

I would agree, termination certainly sounds the safer option to me.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »
We do not breed ours till they are 18 months - even at that age pygmys are more likely to have kidding issues than larger goats.

The kid I kept this year is now 7 months old and I feel well grown but there is no way I would want her to get pregnant.

I would get the vet to check her out and if she is pregnant get him to terminate it.

Pygmy Goat Club - Assuming that you are a  ‘responsible’ goat owner, you will have waited patiently until your female was at least 15-18 months before mating her to a suitable male.
[/size]
[/size]I am not saying you are not responsible Andusbeckus as we know mistakes happen but above is what they say.

[/size]Hope all goes well
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:55 pm »
Perhaps it may be an idea to get her scanned by someone who knows what they are looking at as it will be indecipherable at this stage no doubt - not sure what the abortion procedure is - may just be a flushing of the system, but it may be an idea to know how big it is.  Get that chastity belt out until next year ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:23 pm »
Hope that, whatever happens, she is ok.

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
Normally you wouldnt breed a goat untill she is between 15-18months old , but accidents happen . I have bred  a couple of well grown Febuary born kids before when they are about 8 months old so they have kidded just after around first birthday with no ill efects . In fact one of the goats i kidded as kid went on to produce a first lactation of 1800kg with no ill effect to udder, size , or health . But this is experience with Dairy goats not pygmys .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS