Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ringing Kunes  (Read 4015 times)

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
Ringing Kunes
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:51:31 am »
Hello,
Our Kune gilts have recently started excessively rooting. We've had them a year with no problems - they rooted around but only small areas. For the last month or so they have become very destructive. A quarter acre paddock is now like a polughed field (they dig very deep so their whole head disappears) and they are starting on the next paddock. If they carry on like this they will have destroyed all their grazing areas. We took delivery of a boar and a companion for them at the weekend and the breeder who delivered them said she rings her Kunes that start digging. I was quite surprised as I thought this was frowned on? We have spoken to the vet and he is also supportive and happy to do it. He uses a general anaesthetic and a Danish ring with a screw in the middle so the ring can be removed if necessary. I just don't know what to do. Am I being too sqeamish about ringing? We can't carry on as we are, as we are only about another 3 weeks away from them having utterly destroyed all their grazing! I have tried increasing their food but I don't think the rooting is food related - probably just fun.
The NZ Kune Kune society also suggest ringing if rooting becomes destructive, which surprised me.

Has anyone done this?  ???

Thanks!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Ringing Kunes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:07:11 am »
My two girls came with rings in their poor old snouts, they don't seem to bother them as much as they bother me and, when I have the cash spare, I will get the vet to take them out. Even with the boar, a gilt and older weaners I have very little rooting. If they feel the need to root I will put them into areas that I need ploughed up but I feel I may have to find another breed to do this for me. I found Berkshires the best "ploughs"

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:42:32 am »
Mine always tend to root a wee bit, once the goodness goes from the grass (autumn time) but not usually their entire field  :o
I'm wondering if, now the boar has arrived they'll have something to keep them occupied  ;) :innocent: It might have been boredom ?
A neighbour ringed his Kunekunes after they started rooting (each to their own, but mine aren't ringed) It was small rings along the upper edge of the snout. They didn't stop them rooting, it actually made quite a mess of their snouts and I'm sure at least one got ripped out leaving a bit of hanging skin.
Do you have an area of hard standing you can move them to for a while ? I'd also try putting some hay or hayledge in for them too - see if it distracts them  ;)
HTH
Karen

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »
Hello,
Thanks for you suggestions/experiences. I just thought I'd post that we are definitely not going to ring our girls. I'm just not comfortable with it. Intead, we are going to try some kind of horizontal fencing instead in an effort to protect some grazing. The theory is they should be able to graze through the stock fencing but not root..... Ah well, that's the theory anyway!  ;)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »
Urm.....if you don't object to ear tags why snout rings...the pigs can still graze well and just not dig....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »
my gos is the worst for rooting (and we have tammies!) she turned over a whole acre of pasture v quickly into huge sods. she did the whole field except the toilet area!
cant help with rings but understand the feeling!  ;D ;D :wave:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:45:07 pm by princesspiggy »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:40:11 pm »
IMPO ...
... there is a big difference in ear-tagging & snout ringing - ear-tagging does not in any way detract a pig from everyday life, whereas snout ringing is an attempt to stop the pig from behaving naturally. 
We have kept/co-owned several breeds over the past decade, with various degrees of rooting & other "destructive" tendancies, I don't agree with ringing & would never consider it as a method of land management.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:27:10 am »
IMPO ...
... there is a big difference in ear-tagging & snout ringing - ear-tagging does not in any way detract a pig from everyday life, whereas snout ringing is an attempt to stop the pig from behaving naturally. 
We have kept/co-owned several breeds over the past decade, with various degrees of rooting & other "destructive" tendancies, I don't agree with ringing & would never consider it as a method of land management.
my feelings exactly!
mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
Me too  :thumbsup:

BUT, each to their own. If it's ringed pigs or no pigs I can see why it's considered an option by many people.
I remember a neighbouring sheep & dairy farmer coming over to see my pigs not long after we got them, he said "now you've got pigs you'll never have nice ground", my reply was "ah, but if I'd wanted nice ground I'd have got sheep. I wanted pigs"  ;) ;D

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »
IMPO ...

Agree  :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
i suppose the dilema with kunes is that they are capable of living off grass for much of the year so them rooting it up is a bit of a pest.
pigs do make a mess but we have them cos we love them!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:55:33 pm »
Totally disagree with nose rings. Rooting is a pig's natural behaviour. If you don't want your ground dug up don't get pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS