Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Edinburgh  (Read 8451 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Hello from Edinburgh
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 09:02:24 am »
Hi Sophie, we're down in the Borders between Galashiels and Peebles and keep free-range rare breed pigs, Portland and Scotch Mule sheep, chickens & bees. We use a Vet practice in St Boswells and they're very helpful, supportive and knowledgeable. It helps that in my "day job" I'm a consultant in anaesthetics and intensive care: I'm really enjoying my own graduate veterinary medicine training from them  ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:26 am »
I think it would be very useful if vet schools arranged for students to visit smallholdings prior to or early in their courses as they would be able to get far more 'hands on' far earlier than on the course. eg a soon to be vet student came to us because we were hand shearing and she was able to get hands on experience of handling the sheep, and of the shearing and foot trimming which gives a great feel of the animal, unlike the 100 miles an hour zip off and away on a commercial farm.
I think it would also increase the numbers of large animal vets as they would get the 'bug' with our more manageably sized beasts and then would have the confidence to tackle the monster beasts on commercial farms. Given esp that most vet students are now women not men.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »
Good idea, L&M.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »
Interesting idea. I can see issues why the vet schools don't sort this out but it is emphasised to try and gain a breadth of experience. I guess part of the problem is that most vet students wouldn't give  second glance at smallholdings. HUMPH.

Re - sheep -lambing is a big focus, so sheep handling is probably not the biggest problem vet students encounter after intensive lambing placements. Lack of cattle handling and horse handling is an issue for some.

I however would be very up for hand-shearing sheep! Where abouts are you :) ?

How to get vet students to "get the bug" for large animal work. Really not sure about that one. It so much depends on your motivation. There are a number of students who really are sure what they want to work in and others that are not sure.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 09:26:20 am »
Lack of cattle handling and horse handling is an issue for some.

Lack of pig knowledge is an even bigger problem :( , vets who know anything at all about pigs are rarer than hens teeth. So i think LM's idea is a great one, variety is the spice of life. ;D
Mandy :pig:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
Lack of cattle handling and horse handling is an issue for some.

Lack of pig knowledge is an even bigger problem :( , vets who know anything at all about pigs are rarer than hens teeth. So i think LM's idea is a great one, variety is the spice of life. ;D
Mandy :pig:

And goat knowledge is scarce from what I've heard.  We use a big practice and we do have a vet who is experienced with goats but only one.  Fortunately, we've never needed him when he's been on holiday but have on his day off.

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:16 am »
Hello from Aberdeenshire. I also make soaps for retail. My range includes donkey and goat milk soaps.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:11 pm »
Hello from Aberdeenshire. I also make soaps for retail. My range includes donkey and goat milk soaps.

Cool that's exciting. I'm busy designing exciting new labels at the moment!

So to sum up all smallholder's comments.

Better knowledge is required with goats, cattle, horses, pigs, ducks... to name but a few  :idea: I have an idea. Send them all back to vet school. Ha ha. No, that is pretty rubbish! I guess it just depends on the individual vet at the end of the day.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »

Cool that's exciting. I'm busy designing exciting new labels at the moment!

So to sum up all smallholder's comments.

Better knowledge is required with goats, cattle, horses, pigs, ducks... to name but a few  :idea: I have an idea. Send them all back to vet school. Ha ha. No, that is pretty rubbish! I guess it just depends on the individual vet at the end of the day.

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
It takes ages to get the labels right. I managed to get an Artist to design a logo for me but my word it takes ages. Not only that but the insurance the safety assessments the paperwork it's endless. I make lip balms body butters scrubs bath bombs etc etc. It's good fun though.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS