Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My day at the scottish smallholder show...  (Read 2725 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
My day at the scottish smallholder show...
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :pig: :goat: :goat: :goat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :cow: :cow: :cow: ;D ;D ;D
My Day at Scottish Smallholder and Growers Festival 2012.
Wow what a day despite getting up at 4.30 dragging 4 grumpy kids out of bed, thriving on caffeine all day and not getting home till well after 7pm and collapsing in a heap, I had a great day.
I was a red coated helper for the day whilst my wife had taken a stall in the craft market, having the red coat meant I didn’t have to go looking for conversation it found me I met loads of people and pointed many of them in the direction of people better qualified than me to answer as at the end of the day I don’t actually have a small holding yet.
The whole event seemed to be very positive the talks and demonstrations around the place were well received, I was the red coated liaison to the first sausage making demonstration and was very impressed with the butcher he was very knowledgeable as well as funny in places (there’s something about sausages and sausage skins that seems to make people laugh) I also saw most of the 2 pigs for the freezer talk also very good and very informative, 2 friends of mine had come specially to look into keeping pigs and were very grateful for the information they gathered.
All the animal displays were excellent and my children loved looking at all the animals, my personal favourites were the big Duroc pic, Comet the Goat who let my 3 year old try and milk her and all the cattle displays, don’t tell Rosemary but I can’t decide which were my favourites I like her Shetlands a lot but the Highland Coo’s are just so fluffy and Dexters are very cute, tough call…
The trade stands all looked very good and whilst I didn’t visit any of them they looked quite busy so hope they all had a good day.
The craft market was again very good, my wife personally didn’t have a great day but it was her first  time selling at one of these events so we’re not sure if it was the product or just the wrong type of people for buying crocheted rag rugs, I know some of the other craft stalls had a very good day.
The food stalls were very impressive I personally had a wild boar burger which was delicious and my wife had a venison burger which she was equally impressed with, special mention must go the espresso coffee guys without them I may not have survived the day.
I’m sure I have lots more to say but can’t think of it right now, in conclusion all I can say is bring on next year where do I sign up!!!
Lastly Thanks to all those who made the day possible but mostly Dan and Rosemary for being mad enough to give it a try in the first place.
 ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig: :pig: :goat: :goat: :goat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :cow: :cow: :cow: ;D ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: My day at the scottish smallholder show...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: My day at the scottish smallholder show...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:30 pm »
A fun-busy day for you.  Wish I could have been there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS