Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with Cockerels.  (Read 2642 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
What to do with Cockerels.
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:24:11 am »
Having hatched some bought in Jersey Giant eggs about six months ago with not very impressive results, we ended up with four cockerels which we thought we might as well keep on to see what kind of a dinner they'd make. Pulled the first one the other day and though they look a good size they're not particularly heavy, this one weighing eight and a half pounds dead weight without his feathers. I've had Light sussex of a similar age weighing 10lb so was a bit dissapointed. Anyhow having developed a dislike for tough chicken meat I decided to do a nice long roast, adding some onion, carrots, a few herbs and half a bottle of white wine, and stuck him in the oven for about six hours on a low heat. Well I can honestly say it was one of the best roast chicken I've ever had. Absolutely delicious.

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: What to do with Cockerels.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:09:45 pm »
That's good to hear.  I've got a JG heading for the same destination.  :thumbsup:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »
its the proper way to rid you re cock birds Dork in and Indian game is the must

nessa64

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »
We got a mixed brood of chicks 6 months ago, and ended up with 5 Welsummer and 2 Buff Sussex lads, which we culled over the weekend. We had restricted their free ranging over the last 2 weeks and added barley to their finisher, and we were really surprised with the amount of meat we got off them. Only jointed them for breast, thighs and wings (so much less faff than a full drawing). We bred Indian Game X Light Sussex for meat anyway, and dont normally cull til about 7 months, but just needed to get rid of the noisy beggars!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS