Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep feeds  (Read 14717 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Sheep feeds
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:42:06 am »
Interesting range of prices there!
This is what I pay...
Heygates Ram & Lamb Coarse Mix 17% (20kg) £8.15
MVF Lamb Nuts 16% (25kg) £7.80
MVF Premier Ewe Nuts 18% (25kg) were £7.15 last year.  Gawd knows what they will be this year.
Supabeet I think is about £7

Being a bit anal I always record the composition of any feeds I use on a spreadsheet so that I can compare the different brands etc.  I'll go so far as to email the manufacturers to see what their entire range is cos sometimes what the agri store stock by default is not always the best option. :)

Just looking at those ewe nuts i use ... sugar beet pellets 17%, wheat 17%, wheatfeed 17%, etc.  And the coarse mix is cooked flaked barley, rolled oats, micronised maize, soy bean meal, wheat, ...blah blah.  So yes, you pay the premium for it to be mixed.

Does anyone use any straights to pad out feed, or straights with a protein/mineral pellet?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »
I use beet pellets to bucket train rams and occasionally will feed a bit if they are looking thin, but other than that, I dont feed them a thing.

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
The need to shop around this year for good feed prices will be a must due to the bad summer. Google to try and find your local feed mill as you will get feed alot cheaper straight out of the mill cutting out the middle man. Some mills will only allow you to have it by the ton , if they do just buy with a couple other smallholders . Most feeds will have about 12-16 weeks life on them when purchased so work out how many bags you will feed in 4 months . Often mills will let you have mixed pallets too they want your money so are very helpfull mostly. Remember 40 bags at 25kg to a ton and 50 bags at 20kg to a ton . My advice is shop around or ask your local farmer where he buys his feed from as most will buy direct from a mill and I'm sure if you ask nicely he/she will order an extra ton for you . I feed crimped barley with sugar beet nuts to my rams/fattening lambs as helps bulk it out , but you could used rolled barley or even rolled oats . 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:04:33 pm »
BRUCKLAY may i ask do you feed the crunch because its best for the sheep or does it look the most appetizing from a human point of view, i know some coarse /rough mixes look and smell good enough to eat for breakfast :-J   but sheep don't really care how it looks .   Shreds can be fed dry in small amounts or soaked to feed large amounts, they are just basic beet nuts in un pelleted form and these are fed dry.           How things change 20yrs ago you could buy  concs at 12%   14%    16% were top of the range   , now   16% is bottom    18% normal  and  20%or 22% top   :raining:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
NONE of my sheep will eat them soaked or even slightly water-tainted.... not even the greedy rams. All but one will bite your hand off to get beet pellets dry tho'. I always give mine dry. They have a good clean fresh water supply (i.e me handballing mains water daily across the fields ) so I can't see the harm. mine have been sick on shreds and flakes tho.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »
Mart.... I wish you had worked for me when I ran an animal feed store..... I used to have those conversations (and thoroughly enjoyed them - LOL - everyday) and Shep, I have had that conversation with soooooooo many customers in the past that buys what THEY think THEY would like to eat if they were a rabbit....dog....cat..... guinea pig... often the crappest nutrition wise and dearest on the wallet!!!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 08:06:35 pm »
Shep53 - TBPH I started getting crunch as it was what my goats where brought up on when I purchased them and as it was sheep crunch I thought it was fine for the sheep - they do like it. I don't give them any through the summer (well I do when I want to catch them up to inject etc) but though the winter I was giving a small amount morning and night and just a handful to the ram so I could pen him up so he couldn't get to the girls feed.

Should I be giving beet pellets a go then as a top up but not too much protein?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »
You could  try a bag to mix with the crunch if you like, it will lower protein increase energy and reduce your costs, if you don't like it try something else there is a big choice to buy :yum: :yum:

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »
The hill flock of 1000 Swaledales I used to help with were fed a small amount of sugarbeet pellets dry every day from Christmas to lambing, including the tups.  I don't believe they ever came to any harm because of it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS