Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel rarely crowing now..  (Read 2273 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Cockerel rarely crowing now..
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:53 am »
Our cochin (year old) cockerel has gone a bit quiet ( :excited: say the neighbours!!)

I'm a little worried but he's eating and drinking just not trying to get his end away with the hens. Should I be concerned or is it just a change of season thing? he probably crows twice a day now, if that!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Cockerel rarely crowing now..
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:03 am »
 :wave:   If he seems otherwise well, I would guess at time of year. In my experience they tend to go quieter and if you have more than one cockerel you find there is less competition between them as autumn arrives. Not the best time for babes I guess so the hens slow down or stop laying and the cockerels are aware of this and conserve their energy.  :D  All starts again in the spring and the cockerels have little "arguments" to find out the pecking order for the new year.  ::)

Cockerels also seem aware of when a pullet is about to come into lay and don't tread her until a few days before you get her first egg.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
Exactly as ITH says  :thumbsup:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
Thank you  :thumbsup:  Eloise was starting to worry as he is her pet and I thought we'd be at the vets later "err, my cockerels not crowing does he have a sore throat?"  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS