Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ryeland ram wanted  (Read 2946 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
ryeland ram wanted
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
Hi I have just bought after much searching 4 female shearling ryelands.  Is it safe (bio security wise) to borrow or loan a ram or is it better to buy a ram and then have the problem of what he does the rest of the year?  This is my first venture at sheep owning.  What do others do with such a small number?   Many thanks for any advice.  Much appreciated.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
Re: ryeland ram wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:48 pm »
My choice would be to buy and just leave him in with the ewes all year round as they are unlikely to come into season until Autumn time but I know others will have differing views.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:57 pm »
Maddy,
I am totally new to this myself so please don't take this as gospel but this is what I have done.  I have 4 ewes myself who were ready for tupping and didn't want to buy a ram as I don't think 4 would give him enough work. Equally I really don't have enough land to keep him seperate the rest of the time.
My girls have just gone back to where I bought them from for a few weeks (holiday).
Apart from the fact that she has some lovely rams (Kaz - forum name), as mine came from her earlier in the year I am hoping that I get round the bio-security issue somewhat.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »
I keep my ryeland rams in all year and have lambs every March. This only applies to my ryelands I have to take my cross ewes out or I have funny lambing times for them.

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »
where abouts are you maddy i know where there are some ryland rams for sale.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
Yes where are you Maddy and are they Ryelands or coloured Ryelands?
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:28:20 pm »
I am in East Sussex and the 4 girls are white ryelands.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »
Maddy,  If you buy a ram, then the lambs born next year will be his daughters - so will you want to keep them :-\ ?  You don't really want them breeding with him. 
As a novice I found it much easier to borrow a ram then send him home when his work is done.  Or send your girls on a 6 week holiday to join a ram elsewhere.  Af ter a couple of years you may then want to get your own ram when you know a bit more about handling them  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   - and he will not be related to your lovely flock of Ryeland ewes.  Good luck whatever you decide :)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »
Have you had a look on the Ryeland Flock Book Society  web site as that will give you an idea as to who is near you and if they can loan you a ram or run your sheep with theirs.
Shame you live so far away as have two white Ryeland rams not using this year simply because of the logistics involved in moving them around.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS