Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Harvesting potatoes  (Read 3121 times)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
Harvesting potatoes
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »
I'm growing potatoes in bags at the mo and the first lot are due to be ready soon.  What is the best way of getting them out without having to harvest them all at once?
Many thanks.
Auds x

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Harvesting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:42:11 pm »
Take a bit (dirt) out of the bag at a time ? and see what you get.

Linz

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:47:05 pm »
that's early! Are you sure the plant has flowered and is dying down? That's how long I wait to get the most out of the plants. Maybe I'm just late (as usual). Bags are easier than harvesting from the ground to check, just put your hand in at the side and have a good feel for size, then take out what you need if you are happy with them. :&>

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:39 pm »
I planted them early april and the blurb says they'll be ready in 10-12 weeks (they're foremost spuds and are a 1st early).  I've got nadine (2nd early) and then desiree (maincrop).  They were only in about a month when dd2 went rummaging and pulled out a lovely little baby desiree.  Looking forward to having tasty homegrown spuds - just hoping I haven't over done the earthing up but they leaves were well up before I started doing it so hopefully all will be well.
Auds x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:27 pm »
In Aberdeenshire we had a saying - Plant at April Bank Holiday, harvest at July bank holiday, mine were always a wee bit later till the leaves yellowed off.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS