Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ham fisted old duffer - that's me  (Read 2591 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Ham fisted old duffer - that's me
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »
Aghhhh, can't believe it, done it again

Thought I'd cut George's nails, I washed him this afternoon, trimmed his paws, made him look and smell nice for a change, decided to leave his nails, I'm gradually acoustoming him to let me muck about with his feet, but then got home and thought I'll just do his front paws, 3 nails in, he's doing well, then straight through the quick on his only black nail on that paw, blood everywhere, no magic powder at home, using flour at the moment.....

I wouldn't mind but this is the second time on the trot that I've done this to him, I'd swear it's the same nail as well, he's going to get worse at having his feet messed with not better at this rate.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Ham fisted old duffer - that's me
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »
I've got a special nail clipper with a guard to stop you cutting off too much nail, it only nipps off a bit at a time.
Poor George, I bet he loves you. :innocent:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:25:39 pm »
So have I!

I've also got a dog grooming salon  :o that just makes it worse!

I think I've only ever cut the quick on customers dogs 4 or 5 times in 10yrs..

I guess it's cos he was on the floor not the table, that's my excuse anyway  :innocent:

He's not fallen out with me so that's good

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:50 pm »

I think I've only ever cut the quick on customers dogs 4 or 5 times in 10yrs..

Gee whizzzzzz ......thats unheard of.  I must catch a nail vessel at least once a week  :innocent:

Good old caustic pencils are just the thing. I think VNs must keep the company in business  ::)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 06:49:45 pm »
Mammyshaz,

I hate cutting nails, I also think it looks really bad if you send a dog out bleeding etc so I'm properly conservative with them, I always do them first as well, that way i could wash the blood off in the bath and no one would ever know  :innocent:

Just wish he'd lie down and stop prancing about on the carpet

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:55:46 pm »
Ah right.  :thumbsup:   The ones coming in to us have been left sooo long the poor dogs or cats cannot walk, sometimes the nails are deeply grown into the pad  :rant:  . It makes more sense to us to cut the nails as short as viably possible because who knows how long it will be before they are brought back.
Hence the regular cauterising needed    :innocent:

Walks? Outings?  Few of these dogs see past their garden gates from one year to the next   ::)

I'm guessing the owners you see have a rather more thoughtful approach to their animals   :huff:  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:59:14 pm by Mammyshaz »

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »
Yup, they generally pamper them, mind I'm sure several of them never go out(unless in a handbag) for a walk.

I seem to get loads of big dogs though cos I'm the only one round here who'll do them!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »
I use a dremel on my dogs claws (started when they were young pups, once a week), as they don't get much in the way of road walking, too many fields & moors to run around on here  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 06:11:12 am »
I like to use a metal nail file regularly on dogs with black nails or long quicks! reminds me I must do my boy's!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 08:48:16 am »
I've got a pedi-paws, a battery operated grinder with a guard that stops the fur being caught up in it. Otherwise, if your dog doesn't get a lot of road work, one of those things for taking rough skin off your feet will do them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS