Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hydroponics?  (Read 3753 times)

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Hydroponics?
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:40 am »
Has anyone on here had any experience growing their favourite veggies hydroponically?...
I have been looking at this possiblly for growing through the winter months, it seems there are 2 types of systems you could use, a water based system or a convential soil based system, obvioulsy you would need to use grow lights for either system

I have seen that you can now get completely natural and organic soils and nutrients, so if I did something like this I could still keep my veggie organic.

I know this would mean going against the grain regarding seasonality, and I may get shot to bits for even suggesting such an idea, be gentle its just an idea.

I know that there would be an expense due to the electricity use but it would be possible to setup a small solar array for the lights etc

(I just wanted to add in case anyone was thinking, that this is not going to be used for growing a certain type of plant, I dont do any of that, give me a beer any day)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:52:31 am by Cavendish »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Hydroponics?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:30 am »
Watch 'Saving Grace' film!
mandy  :pig:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:55:48 am »
I haven't, but if I were to invest in pumps and pipes and all that I'd be looking at aquaponics.  Backyard aquaponics: DIY system to farm fish with vegetables

I'm not sure that a general fertiliser mixed with the circulating water would provide all the micronutrients that a plant can pull from the soil in natural conditions though.

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:04:20 pm »
it seems that you can do either way, use soil in pots and water as you usually would, but use grow lights or as you have stated go the complete aquaponics route.

I just thought that it would a be way for me and the family to benefit from continuing to grow our own veggies through out the winter. we would know how we've grown them and as you can now buy completely organic and natural hydroponic nutrients we can be assured that there aren't any nasties in them.

Thanks for posting the video it is most interesting and certainly has given me some idea's.

Fowgill Farm, I just looked the film up on google, looks like it would be a fun watch, thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:12:24 pm by Cavendish »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:24:02 pm »
The video was extremely interesting  :thumbsup:   Great cucumbers too, but the lettuce and carrots looked as if they were struggling for light. 

I use grow lights over a propagator to bring seedlings on in spring, but they never really get enough light.  The growlights themselves are expensive but you could just buy the bulbs and make the reflectors yourself.

After poor light levels I think the biggest problem you would face would be temperature in the depths of winter, unless you have a heat generating trick up your sleeve.

My preferred approach would be to grow winter crops such as brassicas, lambs lettuce, japanese greens, sprouted seeds and so on for fresh winter food, and to rely on produce stored from the summer, either frozen, dried or stored in sand, to make up the bulk of your home-grown winter food.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:46 pm »
dont ask how i know but.
the cost of the electricity is prohibitive for all but the highest value crops. to replicate the spectrum needed you have to use either a hps bulb (high pressure sodium) for fruiting plants, or a mh (metal halide) bulb for green growth. you would need at least 400w on for at least 12hrs a day for a 6ft square section. its good fun tho.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:22 pm »
dont ask how i know but.
the cost of the electricity is prohibitive for all but the highest value crops. to replicate the spectrum needed you have to use either a hps bulb (high pressure sodium) for fruiting plants, or a mh (metal halide) bulb for green growth. you would need at least 400w on for at least 12hrs a day for a 6ft square section. its good fun tho.

Good fun eh? That the growing or the post-harvesting appreciation?  :innocent:

Would you need lights in an outdoor/greenhouse set up though? If you chose your crops carefully?

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
possibly not, we have a lean-to which has a plastic translucent roof, quite a bit of light comes through it but maybe not enough or for long enough when the days are rather short at the height of winter to grow much in there...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:22:09 pm by Cavendish »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »
it depends on the crop, each has a set 'photoperiod' ie the light hours trigger growth patterns, its how plants know when to fruit and ripen. spinach fruits (or bolts) as the day lengthens, tomatoes as the day shortens. day length, amount of 'lumens' (light intensity) and temperature, all affect plant behaviour. getting all those variables controlled is how you provoke fruit out of season.
lots of stuff can be grown in an unheated greenhose through the winter. i personally think its good to have variety, you can be still picking greens through the winter with good variety selection. winter density lettuce is a good one, i sow them thick and use as cut and come again.
going without a favourite veg through the winter makes the first pickings of a new season taste all the better.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 02:43:58 pm »
I grow hydroponic tomatoes every year, but in summer.  This year I also did chillies to massive effect!  Whilst the chillies are over-wintering, I was thinking of growing something else as they are in my conservatory - might give it a go now.  The chillies BTW are not on an autofeed, but soak up nutients in a bath via drip mat sort of material, so they don't get constantly flooded like the tomatoes do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS