Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the Peak District  (Read 3913 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Hello from the Peak District
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:40:51 pm »
My OH and I live on a farm which is, as the estate agents say "in need of total modernisation!"  I already owned some land just along the lane, and are fortunate to be able to get this farm with another 12 acres.

We have what could be termed a menagerie.  My passion is Dales ponies, and we have 5 at present and a foal due any day, plus three other horses, some goats, sheep, llama, lots of farm cats .....around 14 and two litters of kittens at present, 6 dogs, some rabbits. Oh, and 50 free range hens.  We are volunteers with a battery hen rescue, and bring hens from the farms and rehome them all round the country ......I always end up bringing some home for myself.  I sell the eggs by the farm gate to help feed them all.

I now want a dexter house cow to add to my menagerie.  I grow vegetables in my spare time - when I have any!!!  Some of our land  we let to a farmer, and I enjoy watching his suckler cows and their calves during the summer months.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Hello from the Peak District
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:28:29 am »
dexters are herd animals need the company of others, would be better if you got 2 min :cow: :cow:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:32 am »
hiya from Central belt scotland

Linz

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:01 pm »
Hi and welcome from me in France

Carole

sandy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »
Hello, hope you enjoy the growng forum, I moved to central Scotland 3 years ago,no regrets it's brill!!!!! ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 11:41:33 pm »
Thank you for the friendly welcome!!

Garden Cottage, I was intending to buy a cow with a calf at foot ....hopefully a heifer, to start my little herd off.  We used to have one years ago, and she happily roamed the fields with the beef cattle.  We do have the suckler herd on, but would have to keep the dexter cow out of the field when the bull was working, as he is a large Charrolais!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:06 pm »
Hello Roxy!  I'm in Milford, between Duffield and Belper, so as far as this forum goes we are practically neighbours!  I'm rather smallfry in comparison to you - 3/4acre garden with veg patch and orchard, 1 3/4 acre field 22 chickens, 2 Saddleback weaners that are fattening nicely, 2 dogs, a geriatric cat, 2 Guinea Pigs and 1 hamster!  We have been offered 25 more hens including housing from a friend who is selling her garden centre so we will soon be drowning in Guano!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:46:53 pm »
Ooh yes, I know where you are!!  We are further north - on the bleak side of Derbyshire where it snows hard and we get massive drifts.  Can you guess where I am near!!!

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:13:16 am »
Hi there - I live just inside the Peak District on the Cheshire/Derbyshire border. We get lots of snow too! Welcome to the forum. I am just starting a smallholding - well I have been at it for about 18 months now. I have 45 chickens, 4 ducks, 13 sheep of various ages, 2 pigs - weaners, 4 highland cattle of various ages, 1 pony, a dog, a cat, 2 children and a husband! I am just starting my veg. plot.
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:58:15 pm »
Hi and welcome from drizzly Alloa

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS