Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farming Ads Clone Scam  (Read 3574 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Farming Ads Clone Scam
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:11:21 am »
I received an email claiming to be from Farming Ads telling me I had a new message - I clicked the first link to see it and it asked me to log in.

When it went to the site .. firstly it had the following domain:

http://farmingads.memoriavisual.net/privmsg_folder.php?id=-1

Then the site loaded really quickly and was working fast (which in itself worried me ... I dream of the day they improve it from the slug it is)

Because I was cautious I selected forgotten my password rather than entering mine and waited to get an email.

I got one with a new passowrd ... however my login username was set to Chris ....... really, I am the first person to signup and use the name Chris as a username .... don't think so.

I contacted Friday-Ad who own Farming Ads, they have said this happens alot, the Police no longer want reports from either them or us .... neither do Trading Standards.

They said to be cautious and remember they will never ask for any details and if your ever concerned call them and they can check if the request is real and if needs be reset your login so that you can ensure no one ahs pinched your details.

Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Farming Ads Clone Scam
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:54 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Chris, I had one this morning, didn't get as far as as logging on, lucky to see this posting first.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
I had one a couple of days ago (All I'd advertised was the weaners a few weeks ago & a sow)  I couldn't log on properly and gave up trying in the end.  I don't think I'll be advertising there any more if it's dodgy...
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:59 pm »
Farming Ads is not dodgy just the clones - I would advise changing your password on farming ads
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »
I suppose it's better to be safe aye?   ;)   Will do 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »
You can report the site to google :-
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_phish/

and

The police:-
https://reportlite.actionfraud.police.uk/

all it needs is enough people to report stuff like this and it can help.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:44 pm »
Had some really good looking facebook spams this week talking about this now.

The email contained a list os so called friend recommendations - but instead of the links going to some kind of 'other website' they actually did go through to facebook profiles.

I spose they just want you to add them as friends so they then have access to your email, address and other visable facebook data.

The email was perfectly formatted to look like a facebook email, most the headers were ok apart from the inconsistent sending ip details.

Scamsters everywhere!! lol

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
Thinking about it - there are also alot more popups redirecting to facebook these days - cos most people are logged in if they are facebook members all the time - just popups of profiles and  groups and stuff.

Interesting how the social media sites as well as other smaller induustry related groups are being targetted.

If makes me wonder how they target 'attacks' like this.  They must have some kind of information on the intended targets.  Metrics if you will.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS