Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: covering spuds with cow manure  (Read 4090 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
covering spuds with cow manure
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:14 pm »
i read on here i think that when peoples potatoes sprout (mine are about 5 inches and fairly bushy) that they cover them with compost to produce more spuds. i grew a couple last year threw them in the ground and hoped for the best. they came good even though most were quite small with the odd monster. the plot i planted this year to be honest i could have worked a little better and was still quite hard(just dug drills a couple of inches and covered them up). so my question is if i just cover them over with cow sh1t a: is this ok and b: will i get more better developed spuds.

cheers

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: covering spuds with cow manure
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:10 pm »
only use well rotted stuff otherwise you will burn the tips
Ian

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:52 pm »
i also await answers with interest, my spuds are popping through nicely and i've earthed them up a but, but i've a tonne of cow manure that i could be adding instead of jsut compost.

I hsve 4 beds of spuds, so i might just do 1 bed with manure just now and do the other 3 with the compost that served me so well last year.

if all goes well, i'll do more with manure next year

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:00:26 pm »
by earthing them up sellickbhoy do u mean putting compost/earth/whatever around the plant but leaving some exposed.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:06:29 pm »
when the leaves start to pop through, i cover them completely with compost

after a while though, you can't really cover them up much more.

i'm still at the stage where i could cover them up completely as they are still small and just popping through

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »
It's easier to overdo the earthing up in containers than in the ground. Happened to me last year, but I can't be sure if it was the lack of light in the quite deep container or too much earth on top of the plants. I'm trying different lots this year too. One lot earthed up with topsoil, one with council compost and one with my birds' year old muck. we'll see what does best :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:02 am »
Not had much problem with soil in compost but last year I did have a problem of too much water as they where sat on the grassy area which doesn't drain well this year they are on the patio to the annoyance of hubby but my excuse is i can get to them easier lol

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:19 am »
The way we plant them...... Ridge the land up, drop the potatoes in the furrows, cover with well rotted manure then level it off with a hoe/rake.  When the potatoes start to show through I run through with the ridger again to "earth them up".
Good crops for the last 3 years doing it this way.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS