Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flooded !  (Read 3742 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Flooded !
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:16 am »
Well after 3 floods where the river has burst its banks in the last 3 months and flooded all of the fields today the house is flooded !
There is springs all over the place here and one has decided to come up through the floor and spread right through the downstairs  :( 
been on all morning pumping the water out and thankfully the rain has now stopped so the spring has stopped coming in, just hope that there is no more rain today  :-\
Graham

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Flooded !
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:47 am »
Oh Sokel (you have the right name, although wrong spelling for a soak) so sorry to hear about the water.
I have never had a problem like that but it must be devastating for you. Lets hope you are able to clear it up pretty quickly and then remain dry  :fc:
Surely we are going to get a dry winter after all the rain we have had this year.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:26:15 am »
Bloody awful for you, just been watching the forecast update and looks like we're in for at least another 24hours of it so i'd keep that pump to hand, been unblocking drains myself in farmyard this morning YUK but thankfully we're a bit up out the ground house wise. Hope you get cleaned up soon. :hug:
mandy  :pig:
ps left a link in sheep on weather topic

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »
Thanks for the replys.
Its been 6 years since the house last flooded although the fields flood at least 5 times a year.
stupid thing is it is not the river thats flooded the house its the natural unground springs have come up through the floor  :(

at the moment touch wood we are on top of it and no more is coming in  :fc:
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:34:30 pm »
 :bouquet: awful, just awful.
Hope this rain settles soon. Sending  :hug: for you,
 would send a helping hand too but I'm stuck at home with the roads flooded. Couldnt get to work.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
So sorry for you Sokel  :hug:  i was only saying this morning ours had all gone hope you are all ok, i don't think i could cope if it happened to us

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:58 pm »
Oh thats awful for you.  We have had springs re-emerge this year but thankfully not in the house although the cellar is flooded today.  At least its not in our living area like yours Sokel.  Good luck with the clean-up and I hope there is not too much damage.  :hug:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »
How terrible, its wild and wet with us so animals indoors. Paddocks flooded and ended up doing housework this morning just to pass the time  :raining:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:53 pm »
Oh no :(  Fingers crossed that is it for you.

Helen

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »
Yup, we're lucky enough that our house (miller's house) and mill are high enough up a rocky cliff to avoid today't total washout.  Never have I seen our river this high and the mill lade is overflowing as the timber sluice gate has broken with the force.  The bridge over our river is almost submerged - it's quite incredible actually. Thankfully it has now stopped raining about half and hour ago.  The river is deafening as I write this and going for it at about 100mph.

So sorry for you Sokel, I really am - it is very disheartening. 

It's a good reminder however as to how much time everything takes to do when it's like this.  Think I'll get everything in place for the animal's winter housing now while it's not too cold.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »
Poor you. The ground is just so saturated that it comes up wherever it finds a weak spot...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
Oh, its awful when that happens.  When we lived at the farm we had a spring would bubble up in the middle of the stone slates in the sitting room - and also in the corner near the fire place.  I would just grab a brush and sweep it all out the front, but sometimes the speed it came in, I was ankle deep.  The slates came up nice though ......

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »
Hope the  :sunshine: tomorrow and dries everyhing up  :fc:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:10 pm »
Hope your dry now - I've just seen the moon so hopefully clear for you too  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
Oh Sokel, poor you.  Hope it stays down now.   :hug: :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS