Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Summer brassicas  (Read 1801 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Summer brassicas
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:22:18 pm »
Well - we've got some winter brassicas off to a great start and I'm already thinking about the summer crop.

Due to our heavy clay soil we have dug holes 3 ft apart, 12 ins wide and 2 ft deep, filled them with top soil and compost/manure and planted the winter brassicas into that.

For the summer crop we are planning to use the same space but different holes (e.g. in between the existing ones) so as to keep the brassicas in one place for a whole growing season - then plant the next lot of winter brassicas into new beds.

My question is - what summer brassicas should I be considering? I am really keen to grow red cabbage.

Any other good ideas?

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Summer brassicas
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 12:27:16 am »
Summer caulis are much sweeter than winter ones if you can grow them (I can't).  There is a summer version of purple sprouting broccoli and kale can be picked in the summer too.  Radishes are a brassica, as is Kohl Rabi.  There are various Chinese brassicas such as mizuna, Chinese cabbage (Chinese leaves) and pak choi.   Red cabbage is wonderfully satisfying to grow but we have found that the cabbages 'blow' very suddenly, so maybe sow them in succession rather than starting them all off at once.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Summer brassicas
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:31 am »
So I was thinking:

Summer caulis,
Red cabbage - Ruby Perfection,
Savoy cabbage
Chinese cabbage - Wa Wa Sai
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS