Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A quick question ...  (Read 2711 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
A quick question ...
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »

I know there was a thread on x meat but cannot find it - so has anybody crossed the GOS with OSB and what was the carcass like?

Many thanks

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: A quick question ...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »
Hi  :wave:
There's been a few threads where GOS x OSBs are mentioned - if you go into the SEARCH on the green bar above & put in "OSB cross GOS" you should be able to pick most of them up  :thumbsup:
 :love: :pig: :love:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:30:59 pm by Beewyched »
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
I've eaten OSB x GOS (GOS boar.)  Bought a half-a-one off a farming friend.  It was more fatty than the butcher would sell, but not at all bad - less than 20mm backfat, I'd say - and the taste and succulence was excellent, really excellent.  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41:37 pm »
Thanks

Well  AI failed with our GOS sow  so it is a choice between the OSB and our Berkshire Boar - I thought the OSB might be leaner.

PS Sally did you get any bacon? or was it just pork joints.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »
nelson sorry to hear your GOS didn't take to AI, we did an OSB/GOS cross and as sally said watch the fat, ours were a tad late being booked in at the butchers :innocent: and went at 31wks and had an inch and half back fat but by god it were right tasty. ;D
mandy :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:09 am »
HI Mandy

Going to try the AI again as getting a registered GOS boar here in France in unlikely. Not sure why it didn't take - maybe we didn't catch her on the right day - the semen didn't travel well - we have been successful with AI ing our Berkshires  so  :fc:  for the next time.

Meanwhile I think I will let her go with the OSB, and thanks will watch the fat.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
PS Sally did you get any bacon? or was it just pork joints.
Just pork from this cross. 

Pure OSB bacon was stupendous - had to have it as middle, just a 60kg deadweight pig, but oh, the flavour. :yum:  In fact, we only gave 1 of 12 packs away - once we'd tasted it we knew we'd want to eat all of the rest of it ourselves!!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »
Thanks Sally

I think our OSB gilts are ready to go with Mr OSB this week... so a little wait for the bacon - but it sounds worthwhile.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS