Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any room at the inn/stable?!  (Read 3751 times)

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
Any room at the inn/stable?!
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:30:56 pm »
We have two stray Americans from Missouri staying with us this week doing a Wwooffing type week with us here in the Wye Valley.  We kind of found them on the roadside, and, having started a conversation as they walked by our farm, ended up inviting them to stay once the Youth Hostel in which they were staying no longer had room for them owing to healthy bookings.

They are now trying to sort out next steps in their three month stay in UK/Ireland, as they would like to see more than just the Forest of Dean.  But it is proving hard to find places that are affordable for them (food and lodgings for work; a room or two in a shared house; or best of all a self catering cottage or apartment - all in a rural idyll  costing up to a max of £400 a month including bills.

Most places are expensive, holiday lets, that cost for a week what most of us would think normal for a month, or else are only geared up to long, 1 year lets. 

We think there is a gap in the market, so we are wondering whether anyone on here would have something suitable they might like or be able to help us to draw to the women's attention.

Basically, the ideal would be to find somewhere in Scotland for a month, somewhere in Eire for a month and then somewhere in England for a month.  They both majored in Equine studies at university, and are very keen out-of-doors people enjoying, experienced and knowledgeable with animals and the great outdoors. 

If anyone here has either:

1.  A cottage/apartment in ruralish setting for £400 max a month
2.  A room/s they'd be prepared to let
3.  A room and lodging for work

all in somewhere lovely, where two women with no transport can get about in free time, and get to buy simple foodstuffs etc once or twice a week, then please do let us know.

Kelly and Crystal are two lovely young women, who have much to offer someone with an open door.
Any suggestions welcomed :-)
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Any room at the inn/stable?!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:35 am »
Wish I could help.... But you are right, there is a gap in the market. There's hardly anything affordable on offer now for holidays, especially not for singles and/or self catering! Guess why I hardly ever go on holiday... Sharing large dorms in a hostel is not everybody's cup of tea, and I must admit I'm feeling a bit too old for that. Need my beauty sleep. And hostels aren't cheap these days, either - and often not very nice.

If they are up for more hostels and want to go right up north, I can thoroughly recommend the one in Lerwick (I think that was voted best hostel last year or so); and I've been wanting to try the one in Unst (the further north the better for me!), too, as they offer single rooms at reasonable prices and are fully self catering. Transport is not needed in Lerwick; don't know about the frequency of public transport in Unst, though...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:06 am »
Have they tried WWOOF UK?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:16 am »
Sound like 'HelpX' is needed. Try googling that site....like wwoofing but in lots of situations.Its cheaper to join than too (or so Im told) and one site for many countries.
We host for HelpX and have met a range of great people through it as well as getting help with our plot.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »
Some great replies, thank you one and all, and thanks too for the PMs  :thumbsup:

Looks like the Scottish contingent are on the ball! 

I was very interested in the HelpX site - that was new to me. 

Will let you know when they are all settled.  Meanwhile, my borders are busy being dug and the Buddleia is looking a lot tidier than it did this morning... :sunshine:
www.cinderhillfarm.com

Anais Nin

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:39 pm »
We have a lovely 2 dbl bedroomed cottage that we could currently  let for one month at £400. It is located on the borders of Shropshire (Shropshire Hills AONB) and Powys. It is about 4 miles from our farm, we have horses and sheep here if they want to get involved with the animals during a stay.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:24 pm »
i would be more than able to offer two young american ladies the use of my tent and ummm facilities in exchange for ummm oh i dunno some laurel clearance? :D

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:25 am »

Many thanks for your warm welcome to Kelly and Crystal.  That's SO kind
:)  I am thinking I may have to do the same and ask for places to stay around our beautiful country - so many exciting opportunities and so little time to do everything!  But then, how will the animals survive without me??!!

[/size]I have suggested to Crystal and Kelly that they write a short piece to connect those who have expressed an interest in hearing from them, so you can discuss anything with them direct.  I didn't feel it was right to give your contact details to them, but better to ask them to give theirs to you... so, will send by PM to those who I think may use it.
[/size]
[/size]If you would like to take it forward, please do let them know - they are[/size] lovely - really hard working, helpful, and easy to have around.  I for one don't really want to see them go, but I know they need to see more than just the Forest of Dean on their grand tour of the UK!
[/size]If you are ever down this way and need a place to rest your head, please be sure to let us know!Best wishes,Deborah
www.cinderhillfarm.com

Anais Nin

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »
We are also HelpX hosts

Reccommend they join as premier helpers and get a picture and a good biog on there....they will be snapped up, kept warm and well fed by one of us lovely hosts!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »
Oopps!  Sorry, I don't know what happened to my last post.

More lovely contacts, thank you.  I am passing these on and Kelly and Crystal have said that this evening they will sort through and make contact where there is an email address/call where there is a number etc. 

They are pretty blown away by all the kindness and thoughtfulness of folk here, so thank you  :sunshine:   
I think you are all kind of special too  ;D

www.cinderhillfarm.com

Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS