Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newby, bit of guidance please  (Read 3089 times)

IslandFarm

• Joined Sep 2012
Newby, bit of guidance please
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:48 pm »
Hello All

My Partner our 14 week Border Collie Moss and I have just agreed a long term rental of a small farm in Argyll near Strachur.

We have experience with growing Veg and having chicken when I was younger but are looking to start getting some more animals slowly over a few years.  Looking to start with chickens for eggs and go from there eventually some sheep for the dog the round up.

The Farm is 5 and 1/2 Acres but very overgrown.  I am no stranger to hard work, have plenty of time off and pretty handy so would make my own chicken coups ect.

I am not sure of the process of registering as a smallholder or even if it is necessary if for personal consumption.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Thomas and Anne-Marie 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Newby, bit of guidance please
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »
 :wave:  Hi.  Can't help with advice as I am just a back garden smallholder but wanted to welcome you to the forum.  You will need a County Parish Holding number though if you want to keep animals.  I have one for my goats.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:

I also have limited advice ( mgom has much more experience   :sunshine: ) only having a couple of allotments and hens.

There are much more experienced people than me on here but many go to bed early due to livestock commitments so will most likely have much more advice tomorrow  :)

IslandFarm

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:11 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome

I am up in Scotland, will it be the same County Parish holding number I require ?  Much like everything else there will no doubt be different rules.

Thanks

Thomas and Anne-Marie 

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:25:44 am »
Hello and welcome to TAS  :wave:

If you get in touch with your nearest SGRPID office from this list http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/AOcontacts/contacts they'll be able to help you sort out your holding number  :thumbsup: Once you have that you can get in touch with animal health http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/News/8377#a4 who will issue you a herd number for each species you want to keep.

If your ground is very overgrown, I'd start with pigs  ;) (but that could just be cos I'm pig daft  ;D :innocent:)
Other than your chickens it is possibly worth hanging on til the spring before you bring on other stock - just to see what the winter brings this year and let you find your feet a bit first.

Good luck and keep us posted with developments
Karen  :wave:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:52:23 pm »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »
Hi and welcome  :wave: :wave:  get in contact with your enviromental health and they will get the informaton for you. Depending on where you are is Scotland there are different offices for differnet areas.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:05:44 pm »
I also have limited advice ( mgom has much more experience   :sunshine: ) only having a couple of allotments and hens.

Ooh I feel quite important now.   ;D   I'll bet you have more land than me Mammyshaz, with two allotments.  Would love to keep hens again and a few ducks but lack of space and poor health prevent it.  Still, I have my goats. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:54 am »
Hello and welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave:

Look forward to sharing your smallholding journey. If you can make it to the Scottish Smallholder and Grower Festival at Forfar on 30th September, you might get a few tips and meet a few of us in the flesh (well covered flesh fortunately) :thumbsup:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:49:07 pm »
Welcome to you and your pup.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:50:45 pm »
Hi and welcome from wet and windy Worcestershire.   :wave:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS