Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with the wether?  (Read 2034 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
What to do with the wether?
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:57:50 pm »
What an evening - the buck has gone in with the does and the wether (18mths) went with him this morning.  We brought them back to another field with a good barn for the night and the does went crazy, butting and ramming the wether (all the goats are horned).

So - wether taken out over to the kids filed - seemed to sort of like it but still stressed.  After 15 mins, jumped out!

Back to the does and buck - took him over and they were in the big field grazing - 15 mins - jumped out over alpaca hurdles.

So now he is back in his pen (alone) where he was with the buck, crying for ages, slightly quieter now.

What shall I do??  presumably the does didn't want another male with them - but will they get used to him - even his mother was ramming into his side.

Every bit of advice welcomed!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: What to do with the wether?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »
Do you have a kid or two you could bring in with him? So he's in familiar territory but has a friend or two? Then when he knows some of them he might be prepared to stay with them in the field.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »
Will he never be welcome with the does? He lived with them all last yr, just been with the buck for the last 8 months.
With kids, might be ok but the fences are lower! And I discovered today he can jump....

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:15:33 pm »
After having him penned all night and most of the day, I took him with minimum fuss over to the field and let him in while putting feed out for all the does.  Then I left! 

Seems ok, grazing ok.  Probably I should have not let them all mill round in a fairly confined area last night especially as it was the first day with the buck.  What a worry these goats can be!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS