Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calling dyslexic members  (Read 28380 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Calling dyslexic members
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »
If there are any dyslexic members on the forum you might be interested in this new font:

http://dyslexicfonts.com/demo.php

It's been designed to increase readability for readers with dyslexia.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with dyslexia who finds that this font makes reading on-screen easier for them - please contact me by PM or post on here if you're happy for it to be public.

If it does make a difference we'll add a preference that lets you use the font on TAS.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: Calling dyslexic members
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »
Looks too much like a huge bit of text that I will never get through ;)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:04:59 pm »
I sent this to my sister who is a clinical psychologist and sometimes works with people who have dyslexia. She thought it was really clever and has already used it to good effect. Definitely a winner Dan. :trophy:

CrookedJock

• Joined Oct 2012
    • slipperfieldcroft.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:35:41 am »
 :thinking:I only have what I would describe as mild dyslexia, but that example text is much easier for me to read. The only problem, I agree, is that it does take up a lot of space and will involve an awful lot of scrolling and not being able to see complete sections on one page, therefore meaning I would probably zoom out to make it smaller, and thus more dificult to read... catch22!
JRJames

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
Hi Dan
I've got quite bad dyslexia (teh hardest word in the world to spell!) and that font is really good, but I always try and change my text colour to green as the colours make it easier to read, most D's have a perfered colour, the colour helps to stop the words from moving on the screen. Please ad it
thanks Red

Red

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:53 pm »
Perhaps the font should be the default across the site for accessibility? :)  (Or can a reader "request" the site to appear in that font?)

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:42 pm »
Hi Dan
I've got quite bad dyslexia (teh hardest word in the world to spell!) and that font is really good, but I always try and change my text colour to green as the colours make it easier to read, most D's have a perfered colour, the colour helps to stop the words from moving on the screen. Please ad it
thanks Red

Thanks Red, I'll sort out a theme asap that lets you see the forum all the time using that font.

Perhaps the font should be the default across the site for accessibility? :)  (Or can a reader "request" the site to appear in that font?)

It will be an option you can set yourself. The forum works on 'themes', and at the moment you get no choice.  :D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »
I find this absolutely fascinating!  I am not dyslexic at all, but the typeface is gorgeous!  Well done for searching it out and trying to help those with difficulty!   :trophy:

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »
Thanks Dan that would be great! and will mean that I will use the forum a lot more as it takes a bit more effort to trawl through forums when your Dyslexic - its a bit like having to climb stairs when on crutches, it puts you off unless you have lots of energy or on a mission for something  :D  and this forum is worth the effort!

Red

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:38:25 pm »
Looks quite good but I have a program on my computer that changes my screen colour and auto correct. But for folk that don't looks good

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:29 am »
I recall it's designed so that each letter is weighted at the bottom thus making it easier to read them the right way up... Pretty font too
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:21:56 am »
What a great addition to the site  ;D
I am a special needs coordinator and love to see features like this.

I have a friend who is a dyslexia teacher, her husband has written a series of novels which are produced in a similar way.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 09:34:16 am »
I';m nosey so went to have a look but got an error message to say the site was down and there was no cached version. :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:20 am »
This is in place now. To activate the font on the forum go to your profile and edit the account settings (follow this link):

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=account

Tick the box 'Open dyslexic font', enter your password and save.

At the moment it's limited to the main body text of posts - I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who uses it - would it be better if the whole page/site was rendered using the same font?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 09:54:17 am by Dan »

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:51:26 pm »
Hi Dan I am dyslexic, erring on the more tricky side of spectrum..

I Just tried this font, and I think it is good, it kind of concentrates the eye on the bottom so theres less
jumping about and miss reading. I was on  http://www.dystalk.com/forum/dyslexia
the other day as my son has just been diagnosed too, and he's bilingual yikes, There was some information
that was both written down and then a video with someone dictating, I thought it was genius, but possibly a
step to far for your project I think Its a great idea well done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS