Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: inquiry about investement  (Read 3385 times)

mehranbord

• Joined Sep 2012
inquiry about investement
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »
i am interested to invest in sheep breeding and would like to have a farm with at least 1000 heads,
but first of all the big question for me as an investor is the profit, because i dont know any thing about this business, but i am interested in such business,
it would be highly appreciated if some can help me.
regards
Reza

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: inquiry about investement
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 10:58:14 pm »
Profit from sheep, that's a good 'un  :roflanim: :roflanim:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:01:10 pm by Moleskins »
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:37:42 am »
Another spam email?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mehranbord

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:52:05 am »
no, its not spam!
i am serious, i really like to do it, but since i dont have any idea about it, i  thought maybe some one would give me an estimation,

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:59 am »
I think that this is a little outsde the normal ambit of a smallholders forum.

I would strongly suggest that you seek independent and professional advice.  The National Farmers Union may well be able to suggest a suitable consultant.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:18:44 am »
Ive got  figures based around 500 head, but it is for grazing only - not including sfp etc. And yes, it is very possible to make money.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:04 am »

Yes, but is it a good investment, compared with any other investment you could make, that's the question!

I'd have thought that if you want to make money, there must be more lucrative and less risky ways to do it than sheep farming, particularly without any prior knowledge of the subject.

Why are you interested in this as a business Reza?  Is it because you fancy sheep farming and want to know if it could be profitable, or is it purely because you want a financial return on your investment?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
The ABC Agricultural Budgeting & Costing Book has some useful figures in it. You can make a profit from sheep farming but the prices fluctuate year on year so much that a profit cant be guaranteed or budgeted on with some years breaking even being a massive achievement. If you have the finances to set up a farm with 1000 head of sheep I am sure there are far sounder investment opportunities out there. Nothing stopping you having a small flock as a hobby and seeing if you can make money out of that first.

mehranbord

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:16:46 am »
thanks all of you guys,
in fact i am here in the UK on investment visa, so i have 3 months time to find a business to invest,
in the other hand i am a fan of  sheep, 
but anyway, it should be profitable business as well, i have to make my living cost plus some profit.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:24 am »

Well, they do say that the best way to make a small fortune in farming is to start off with a large fortune......  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:31:08 am »
What it boils down to; for me at least is that my cost of production is about 60 quid/lamb - including depreciation on assets and my time costed at £15/ hour. The start up costs were handling system, trailer, dog etc and some ewes. I am looking long term though and buying old ewes which I will get a couple of lamb crops out of for replacements before selling as culls, making my flock depreciation about £10/head.

Different people run different systems though - an early lambing flock would feed its animals gambling on the early prices being higher to cover their higher COP.

They reckon a one-man unit on my system should be capable of 1500 head, but Im way off that.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 12:14:25 pm »
The biggest problem for you mehranbord is that you don't know anything about sheep yet and that will be very costly. If you need to employ a shepherd it will probably absorb your profits.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS