Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any smallholders near Edinburgh keep goats?  (Read 1953 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
Any smallholders near Edinburgh keep goats?
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:37 pm »
Hello smallholders,

I have recently moved to Edinburgh to finally (after 10 years of faffing) - become a vet. I am a budding 'future' smallholder and have recently begun hand-making soap. I am a big fan of making it with goats milk and I am wondering if there might be any smallholders in the Edinburgh proximity who have some goats milk they could spare me in return for a) lovely soap and b)help on the smallholding if needed. I am really keen to find a local source as I had some lovely connections near Nottingham. You can have a look at my soap website and find out more about me: https://iwantthemoon.wordpress.com/goats-milk-soaps/

I really hope someone can help!

Sophie

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Any smallholders near Edinburgh keep goats?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:43:26 pm »
Hi Sophie,

:wave: 

We live outside Edinburgh, near Falkirk, but I commute into the outskirts of Edinburgh every day. We have 20 dairy goats. There are a few Goatkeepers in fife as well.

I'll have a look at your website and post later once we have finished milking!

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »
Like your website, Sophie.  Too far away for you though.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »
Hello Beth,

Do let me know what you think. Thanks for replying so quickly,

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

:wave: 

We live outside Edinburgh, near Falkirk, but I commute into the outskirts of Edinburgh every day. We have 20 dairy goats. There are a few Goatkeepers in fife as well.

I'll have a look at your website and post later once we have finished milking!

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:06:38 am »
Hi Sophie,

Lovely website you have- I've never heard of anyone making tea soap before so that must be a good usp.

I noticed on the website that the source you had before for goats milk was organic. I am afraid I cannot guarantee to be completely organic, nor necessarily GM free (it's not always easy and the most cost efficient to obtain GM free goat food).

So I am not sure that we would be suitable. I see as well that Anke has replied on the cross posting in marketplace, so if that suits better, feel free to go with it.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS