Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread making  (Read 7188 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Bread making
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:04:41 am »
I made my first couple of small loaves at the weekend by hand, using fresh yeast.
I was fairly pleased with them but the texture is more dense than I would like. Anyone got suggestions on how to improve it?
thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Bread making
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:39:53 pm »
Could be a number of things.

What sort of flour are you using?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »
Dot, its strong white flour although once I had started I realised I didn't have enough. The recipe said 700gr and I only had 560gr so put 140gr of granary bread flour in too.
More strong white flour is on the shopping list this week  :)
Sally

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:51 pm »
home baked loaves are normanly more dense then factory made, as home baked don't have all the raising ingredients that they use to get more air in (air is cheaper) -

Also putting granary flour will give a more dense loaf
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »
i've found a recipe that is milk based not water that produces a lighter softer loaf (sat munching it right now)

baking bread is my new hobby, all made by hand and so bad for my waistline!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »
Bloomer,
Can you share your recipe please
thanks
Sally

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:56 pm »
1lb strong bread flour
2oz butter
1 tablespoon castersugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fast acting dried yeast or equivalent
1/2pint warm semi-skimmed milk (hand temperature)

its really a recipe for very nice soft rolls which cook in about 12 mins at 200C i have used it for whole loaves as well and they take no more than 20 minutes it is yummy...

i have taken to using a quarter brown flour and its still yummy and i can pretend its a bit healthier for me...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
I would try making a bigger loaf, they are more forgiving!
Some supermarkets stock VERY strong bread flour (as opposed to strong), which may help.
To get a good crust, saturate a J cloth in water and as you put the bread in the oven wipe the sides and inside of the door with the soaking cloth, this will create the steam which will blast the dough initially and create a lovely crispy crust.
Make it freeform not in a tin
The recipe I use produces a denser than supermarket (inevitably) but not heavy loaf, and is very simple
500g very strong white bread flour
350ml water
10g salt
10g fresh yeast
I dont knead for hours - I follow the Bertinet bakery methods (google Bertinet and it will come up - best book is 'Dough'), and you do very little kneading but two provings and it has never failed (using fresh yeast, i have always had very variable experiences and success rates with dried yeast and only use fresh now as Bertinet do a subscription where you get a monthly block). I have also used multigrain but never more than half and half with the strong white flour.
good luck!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:24 pm »
Bloomer - I've just made bread rolls using that exact recipe ..... but doubled  ::) ;D  because we're greedy.
We had them with homemade courgette soup.

Bionic- I got the recipe from a book called ..... WI bread by Liz Herbert. It is called .. milk bread/ bridge rolls.
They always turn out really well. Lots of yummy looking recipes in the book but must admit that I haven't tried many because the children love the milk bread so keep making these.

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »
1lb strong bread flour
2oz butter
1 tablespoon castersugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fast acting dried yeast or equivalent
1/2pint warm semi-skimmed milk (hand temperature)

its really a recipe for very nice soft rolls which cook in about 12 mins at 200C i have used it for whole loaves as well and they take no more than 20 minutes it is yummy...

i have taken to using a quarter brown flour and its still yummy and i can pretend its a bit healthier for me...
We used to be able to buy 'milk' bread can't seem to find it anymore. This sounds an easy recipe - can I do it in a Kenwood? as I can't do the kneading my hands won't let me - but this sounds so good I want to have a go. :excited:
You are never to old to learn something new

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »
i haven't done it in the kenwood as i prefer to get my hands in but don't see why not...

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:59 am »
Dot, its strong white flour although once I had started I realised I didn't have enough. The recipe said 700gr and I only had 560gr so put 140gr of granary bread flour in too.
More strong white flour is on the shopping list this week  :)
Sally

Any amount of brown or wholemeal flour in the recipe will make the loaf a bit heavier (but much nicer) and you might need to compensate a bit by adding a little extra yeast.

You might also find that mixing the dough up a little wetter will give you a heavier loaf.

Make sure you knead it really well. Kneading makes the dough much more elastic and stretchy and so it will rise more. I can't say how long, but as you make more bread, you will gradually get a feel for it and you will just know when it has had enough knocking about.

One other thing, rising twice will always give a lighter loaf.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »
I make bread every week - generally a mix of strong flour brown, white and wholemeal in various quantities  ;D

I have recently moved to using a cooler, slower 1st prove - so far up to 4 hours in 12 - 14 degrees - and the bread ultimately turns out lighter than when I do a 1 hour prove (22 degrees) , knock back, shape and rise for another hour

I want to go to an overnight in the fridge prove as well  ;D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
I want to go to an overnight in the fridge prove as well  ;D

Let us know how you get on - it'll be interesting to hear!  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »
Wish I hadn't read this thread - I'm feeling hungry now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS