Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waste Collection Licence ?  (Read 6491 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Waste Collection Licence ?
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
I go to the fruit and veg  wholsale place once a week and get a trailer load of waste fruit and veg   to supplement the pigs and goats diets.
We have been today and at the main gate you pay £6 to get into the different wholsalers we have always been allowed just to drive straigt in to collect the waste.
Today it wasnt the usual bloke on the gate and he has told us we could go in as normal but we should get a waste collection licence to go in to keep things above board  ???

Anyone know anything about them and where you get them He says they are free  :-\
Spoke to someone we know in animal health and he knows nothing about it  ::)
Graham

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Waste Collection Licence ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »
In short No, sorry Sokel - maybe someone within management at the market ???
Strange your AH dept wasn't aware of them though.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »
yes and no to this one       if it is going to landfill you need a waste carriers licence     collecting boxes of fruit and veg     no          is that everybody has to pay to get in :farmer:

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »
I've got a waste carriers licence that you've got to pay for, dont know if thats what he's on about

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »
yes and no to this one       if it is going to landfill you need a waste carriers licence     collecting boxes of fruit and veg     no          is that everybody has to pay to get in :farmer:
Everyone who is going in to buy has to pay the £6 we dont have to pay as we are going in  for the waste veg   :innocent:

We have been going there for months and this has never been mentioned but this is a new bloke on the gate
Graham

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »
 ???  - being new, it could be that he wasn't clear about who pays etc or, he could be on the make (5 innocent folks x £6 = £30 bonus).
I'd ask for an official reciept next time - tell them you need it for your books or your next AH inspection.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:38:22 pm »
I don't know if this is what he meant, but it's worth looking into.

Environment Agency Registration of Use of Waste

Farmers (in England, at any rate) now have to register their use of waste materials.  (So do other folks, but I only know about it from a farmer's perspective.)  For instance, using hard core in gateways.  There's no charge but the paperwork has to be in place for you to get the loads tipped.  It's quite possible the same applies to farmers using waste veg, and that's what the chap wanted to see. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »
Thanks sally will read that when I am a bit more awake and I am able to sink it in  ::)
Ohh for the days when you can live without a million rules and regulations
Graham

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:23 am »
I think he might have misunderstood the situation.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »
Well after lots of phone calls etc everyone I have spoken too says the same as Robert that unless I am collecting it and taking it to landfill I dont need a licence ! As if I would be doing that, I am full of daft tricks like that  ::)
Graham

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:17 am »
A bit off topic but still to do with waste licences, the dual carriageway that runs near our farm is being resurfaced, OH approached one of the firms leading the planings away and asked for them to leave us six wagon loads in our yard (going to resurface our lumpy drive with them) anyway price agreed, yes they would. A week later still no planings, OH rings firm and gaffer says sorry not been having a lot of bother with officials following every wagon to see where it goes to tip its load, they are supposed to go only to sites that have paid up waste licences to dispose of them so he said he has to take them to his own yard about 8 miles away, dump them and when they finish he'll reload them and bring them to us! So instead of one mile to tip them out at ours these road planings will have been on a sixteen mile round trip, used X amount of diesel, come on enviroment agency so much for your green credentials, you clip board clutching tin pot hitlers! :rant: :rant:
Mandy :pig: 

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:40:25 am »
this is the same all over     you have to get a licence to use this type of material    for the tars and toxins in it       up here they stockpile the plannings then over time they get moved     obviously the price goes up  as it does     it is funny the recycling    the one getting rid of the material has to pay for disposal   then it resold as infill    DOUBLE INCOME  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:59 am »
although its unfortunate when it impacts honest people trying to recycle stuff for good purposes, having lived somewhere where there was daily wall to wall flytipping of all sorts of hazardous and nuisance stuff I do agree with there being some sort of licencing to deal with waste, sometimes its the only thing they can get the fly tippers on if noone has seen the stuff tip off the lorry. But as usual, it is the innocent who have the most inconvenience from it....

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:47:27 am »
Crazy mad world, this has only just happened recently prior to this they just came straight to us! Before you ask what we do with them all we have a longish driveway and are redoing the yard round the new shed with them!
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS