Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: .Debate continued (freedom of speech)  (Read 11578 times)

robert waddell

Re: .Debate continued (freedom of speech)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 09:17:24 am »
public hanging is or could be a deterrent to those that were watching it    just as witnessing a fatal car crash would  be a lesson in better driving skills

but how are you going to identify future murders to have them as front row voyeurs

as an aside but on the hanging     i am led to believe the last man hanged in Scotland for sheep stealing    came from avonbridge     that was back in the days a sheep was worth more than a man   and he would in all possibility just be feeding his family :farmer:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »
I must have missed your vote entirely Tiz, but I have to side with the majority on this thread - and say I am against hanging.

Probably can't add much that hasn't already been said; but would say that the 'deterrent' value of hanging is negligible  - if we divide murders into 2 categories for simplicity: - 'crime of passion' and 'premeditated', then the first group clearly aren't thinking about the consequences, and as for the second; they are thinking that the punishment is for getting caught rather than for committing the crime and are generally planning on getting away with it.

look at the stats - if you can show that countries with the death penalty have lower murder rates than those which don't then I'd like to see it.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »
No doubt Doug , the site of someone hanging put off those watching , but were they all potential murderers ?
As mab and others have said , it isn't a deterant in countries that have the death penalty , nor was it here when we had it . If it had been there wouldn't have been a hanging for your granddad to view !
As for marines v sas taught hand to hand combat , which one's better ? , as Harry Hill says , " there's only one way to find out ! FIGHT !!!
How is the ankle mate ?
;-)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 04:27:57 pm »
 ;D
reminds me of that rather rude scottish comedian whos name escapes me, talking about how hard there dads were, 'ah mines a boxer he'll batter your dad',  'ah but mines a karate expert he'll chop your dad', up pipes wee willie, 'well my dads a gay and he'll s...g your dad....'  :-J

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 04:52:04 pm »
Do you think at the spur of the moment any child abuser, murderer, peodo, kid killer etc etc etc - thinks of anything but the moment and may consider the conciquences?

Having capital punishment will maybe deter the phycopath into thinking of other ways not to get caught - but your general run of the mill social deliquent thats capable of such things - probably not.  They are mad.

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »
is that billy connely you are thinking of :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »
Do you think at the spur of the moment any child abuser, murderer, peodo, kid killer etc etc etc - thinks of anything but the moment and may consider the conciquences?

Having capital punishment will maybe deter the phycopath into thinking of other ways not to get caught - but your general run of the mill social deliquent thats capable of such things - probably not.  They are mad.
nah. the amount of planning and coordination and communication these guys use is premeditated. peadophilia is an industry. photos and videos are sold between them. i would say hardly any of it is 'spur of the moment'.
look at the 2 guys who raped that 14yrold boy in a debenhams on a saturday afternoon in manchester a few weeks back, that was planned and organised.
when i worked in woolworths brighton a decade ago we had a securty alert of a missing 6yr old boy. we shut the shop. full lock down. and searched the shop. we found the boy alone in a locked cubicle in the toilet with his head shaved and a new set of clothes on.  that took planning.
the problem is there is no consequences.  the scum that raped that boy will get 3/4 yrs, some rehab and be let back out.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 05:03:53 pm »
is that billy connely you are thinking of :farmer:

frankie boyle :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 06:52:16 pm »
What about all future prisons being somewhere in space. Bound to happen sometime !!!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
Theres enough crap floating around up there now without sending more.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:32 pm »
I remember the Goods on the Good Life using an air rifle to shoot a neighbour for nicking their veg' . Even Barbra had a pop at the bloke after Richard Briars invited him to have some more.

There is a scale , a balance in life . When the weight of the criminal activities overload the system, something will give. Unfortunately I feel that the criminal is dragging the good of society down. Too many drug dealers, thieves and so on upsetting the balance. If the law fails to deter then what will deter ?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 10:13:30 pm »
Theres enough crap floating around up there now without sending more.
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:07 pm »
There is a scale , a balance in life . When the weight of the criminal activities overload the system, something will give. Unfortunately I feel that the criminal is dragging the good of society down. Too many drug dealers, thieves and so on upsetting the balance. If the law fails to deter then what will deter ?
Well put, and this is where, whether some may like it or not, you have to have a strong enough deterrent to deter the determined criminal.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS