Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting in the round  (Read 2370 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Knitting in the round
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »
Ive been trying all day   :knit:

I just can't do it, cast on, ok, spilt stitches on my circular needles, ok, work out lengths of cable etc and get going...

After I've done about 5 rows it just starts stretching at the join so my stitches are about 1cm wide, I've been trying sooo hard to make that stitch tight but it keeps happening, I've only got 3 dpns so can't do it that way ???

Where am I going wrong, am I missing something?

And my cable needle keeps unscrewing itself from the cable so all my stitches fall off..

I WILL master this

Any tips great fully received as always

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Knitting in the round
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »
Alistair I think its just a case of practising. It might help if you get another set of dpns so that you can try that method. As for the cable stitches, I have a cable needle that has a V in the middle so the stitches can sit there rather than falling off one end or the other.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:05:55 pm »
Sorry didn't Mean cable needle in that sense, mine have vs in them too, it's just the dpn is bamboo needles with an interchangeable cable that screws between..

Still practicing, still frustrated, just can't seem to get the tension right, I'm soaking the cable (it's plastic) in hot water now to see if that makes a difference, seems pointless but if I could just ge the first 10 or so rows right I'd guess the tension would sort itself out

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
It's actually the second stitch you need to pull tight at the join to stop that stretched stitch. Is your cable the right length or too long?

As for it coming unscrewed, lock-tight super glue will hold it - and break when you twist it hard to undo it on purpose. Or maybe a tiny bit of cotton thread or PTFE plumbers tape on the screw thread? Yes, getting the plastic cable warm will make it a bit more flexible but cheap plastic cables are still a pain and the join to the needles isn't great either. It is a question of getting used to them, they are different to hold and so the way you tension your yarn is different too. I knit on nothing but circulars and dpns for socks now.

I wonder if you could put a 'wanted' notice locally for dpns, lots of people will have them sitting about or would be prepared to lend you them for the project.

Good luck  :knit:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »
Hiya jaykay, I've got dpns 5 of them, just mislaid 2, so I did a search on magic loop method, that's what I'm trying, I use the cable needle for knitting sweaters on, just find it easier to use, am going to try the second stitch now...

:knit:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »
 :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :knit: :excited: :knit: :excited:

Tighten second stitch  :knit:

Thank you, really works

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:21 pm »
Well done.   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS