Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb meat very tough  (Read 8397 times)

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
lamb meat very tough
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »
Hi,
We have just sent out first 3 lambs to slaughter (texel/suffolk x about 8 months old) They were slaughtered and butchered at our local butcher about 4 miles away. The meat has a lovely flavour and is nice and lean but very tough. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas why?
The lambs were finished on grass and the occasional bit of coarse mix. However due to the lush grass this year we had to bring them in 2 weeks before slaughter to dry them up , so the last 2 weeks they had a bit of poorer grass and hay. They were dry and clean by the time they went for slaughter and didn't look like they had lost any weight. We put them on water only for the last night.
Many thanks for any help!

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: lamb meat very tough
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »
Could they have had a stressful time going to/through the abbatoir? If so the adrenalin can affect the quality of the meat.

Greenmoor

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
Did they hang long enough at the abbatoir?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:59:02 pm »
You shouldn't have to hang lambs. I agree with Lahill - stress is the most likely cause.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

ChaseView

• Joined Mar 2012
    • Chase View Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »
thanks for the info. I don't **think** they were stressed but how would I know? The trip to the butchers is only 15 mins and they went in the trailer fine so I thought things were OK. Is there anything in particular to look for or avoid? We have more lambs to go in Nov/Dec and I really don't want the same thing to happen again, plus the next round of lambs are Balwens and far less tame than the crosses we just slaughtered.

Thanks

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »
I used to keep Black Welsh Mountain, and I always liked the lamb to be hung preferrably about 7 days or even a bit more, and it was beautifully tender. Though of course stress at slaughter would probably cause a problem as well

BWM is very lean meat mind, so perhaps it might be different with a "fatter" breed.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
My butcher hangs lambs. The meat is always tender, but don't forget when cooking to rest it for a short time before serving. How did you cook your lamb and what part of the lamb have you tried so far?

I might be prejudiced, but I think welsh lambs are more tender than texel and suffolk so your balwens might be fine.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:41 pm »
are you certain it was your own lambs that you got back :farmer:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »
My butcher hangs lambs. The meat is always tender, but don't forget when cooking to rest it for a short time before serving. How did you cook your lamb and what part of the lamb have you tried so far?

So does mine. With any meat it is important that it has at east come out of the other side of rigor mortis - although that shouldn't take more than 48 hrs in a fridge.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:33:07 pm »
The hoggett and mutton I sent recently was also hung - for the best part of a week. It is fantastic. Young lamb shouldnt need as long but maybe 2-3 days - also stress might indeed play a part.
Did the lambs come back the sort of weights you were expecting? (if not it might be they arent your ones...:-OO usually deadweight is approx half liveweight.

JUNIOR MEMBER pufflepets

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »
 My commercials have always been hung for 7 days. The Shetlands more like 4 days. Problem is...now i have eaten Shetland meat, ALL other lamb seems tough now in comparison (to me!)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
I must admit, the same thought as robert crossed my mind. You are at the mercy of your butcher  :o

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »
are you certain it was your own lambs that you got back
Not a stupid question.  I know one place which is said to be careless.

We have our lambs butchered by a different firm so that they can be hung for a week first.  Our abattoir won't do it, won't return the fleece, won't give the time of day.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »
are you certain it was your own lambs that you got back :farmer:
A neighbour sent their Shetland lambs to a local abattoir and they came back larger than when they went in :innocent: .  Not the 'profit' they wanted :o .  We go elsewhere ;) ;)

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
Thhe wonderful joke about EID tracability. first off, the head with the tags, who knows what belongs to who now?

Stressed meat is usually very dark, i have had problems with young bulls slaughtered as veal. they can get very excited easily.
never with lamb, but hanging is important. as far as i know texture of the meat will not be affected by feed or management on the run up to slaughter, but taste could be.

i would suggest lots of lamb casserole, sausage and burgers!

d

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS