Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am having a little sheepy daydream!  (Read 4096 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
I am having a little sheepy daydream!
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
My lambs seem to be gleaning much much interest and I do not expect to have them much longer!  :gloomy:  However, I seem to be getting very lucky with winter grazing availability and with a smaller flock, I am considering running another small, small, small flock or rare breed sheep alongside my Shetlands. I am thinking North Ronaldsays! Or castlemilks. Or Soays. I am hoping for about 10 so really, I guess what I am asking is..... do other forum members know roughly the ave price for each of these 3 breeds and if any particular breed would suit my lowland fields better than the others. I would also be very interested to hear from anyone on here who would have a registered mini flock of mixed ages to sell me. I am in good ole sunny (!?!) Somerset x
Thank ewe
Lisa x
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: I am having a little sheepy daydream!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
Lisa,

Bought our Soay ewes as lambs 2 years ago. £50 each for the more usual colours and £60 for the "pretty" coloured ones. We bought a mixture to reflect the diversity of them.

Hope that helps.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »
That sounds a bargain...and yes, very helpful!  I am thinking Soays might be the way to go!

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 05:03:14 pm »
Hope you have better luck than me :gloomy:  I have been looking for a couple of Soay for quite a time. I am in the North of Scotland where you would think there would be some?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:16 pm »
Luckily there are some about an hour from me...I notice most seem to be in North Yorks and Wales!!!!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:18:41 pm »
Actually, I lied Chris H... here are 4 lots in South Scotland, anyway!
http://www.farmingads.co.uk/search/simple/query-soay/region-w-uk-scotland-south/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:26:07 pm »
I of course think Castlemilks are beautiful - and can be very friendly if you get the right ones.  They're a cracking cross with Shetland, too.

I've heard (on TAS, of course) that North Ronaldsays are very copper intolerant - which is why I won't be bidding for the black ewe at Carlisle tomorrow, much as I absolutely love spinning NR fibre.

Our ground is copper impoverished, but we have licks out for the cattle, which have quite a bit of copper in them.  I'd be terrified my NRs would have a lick and their livers explode.

Nothing wrong with Soays, I just haven't had them myself.

Another breed you may consider, being more local(ish) to you is Portland.  Lovely tan faces, sweet brown lambs, beautiful beautiful  :love: fleece.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:06 pm »
Shame you're so far away Chris H - I have some really sweet Soay wethers that I would love to find good homes for.  :'(

Have you contacted the Soay Sheep Society?

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
Sally.... yes, I was reading that too... we have low copper levels tho if NR's came up, I would get the soil tested first to double check. i understand you can never feed them concentrates either...! I have looked at Portlands but i already have Charollias x Shetlands that look exactly like them bar the horns! LOL! i wanted something different to what I have.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »
Hi i have 2 soays ewes they are a flighty breed but once they trust you are fantastic i was told they would be 2 much for a beginner but they cost me 50 for the 2 so i snatched woman's hand off lol. they have mixed in well with my portlands but love there slice of bread, unfortunately they aren't registered but can have everything, they generally only have one lamb and are fairly easy lambers
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:38:24 am »
Only lambed this year for the first time but out of 6 Soay ewes (shearlings - first time mums) we had 3 sets of twins. They seemed small to us but our neighbouring farmer said that he thought they were a good size and had seen commercials produce smaller twins. All fast onto their feet and no problems with lambing or mothering. Good job  :relief:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:54:04 pm »
Ooooh now let me think.....
There is a lady with hebs in Evercreech and she is lovely, she also has Icelandic sheep :love:

The man at Hooting Ash has a flock of Soays.

Mary has Castlemilk Moorits.

I think you should get Oussants and give them all to me :innocent: :thumbsup:

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »
We have been weaning lambs and checking sheep teeth this week. A couple of our badgers are getting toothless which means they won't cope on the hill. Are you interested in giving them a couple of years on better pasture where they would most likely do okay. Not free I am afraid, but very reasonable. I could pick a couple of ewe lambs out for you too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS