Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging floppy eared pigs.  (Read 20914 times)

chickenfeed

Re: Ear tagging floppy eared pigs.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »
chickenfeed is correct   and duroc and berkshire as well     will amend the post  :farmer:

i am a woman robert i am always right  :innocent:

robert waddell

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »
maybe that is why i like you    we are both correct :relief: :roflanim: :farmer:

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »
Hmmmm, I'm getting very confused now. My pedigree registered OSB only has an ear tattoo, so are you saying she should be notched as well or will it be her piglets, if we breed from her? My BPA notes say that registered pigs must be identified with ear tattoo, ear notches OR double tags. It also says that it is recommended to have 2 forms of ID recorded on their database. It does not say that it is compulsory. I have only joined BPA as a pig keeper and not a pig breeder so maybe I'm missing some info?

Actually haven't really found the BPA all that informative, perhaps all will become crystal clear eventually. Arrrrggggg! ::)  :o

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
maybe that is why i like you    we are both correct :relief: :roflanim: :farmer:

we could start a rumour here robert  :roflanim:
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »
Hmmmm, I'm getting very confused now. My pedigree registered OSB only has an ear tattoo, so are you saying she should be notched as well or will it be her piglets, if we breed from her? My BPA notes say that registered pigs must be identified with ear tattoo, ear notches OR double tags. It also says that it is recommended to have 2 forms of ID recorded on their database. It does not say that it is compulsory. I have only joined BPA as a pig keeper and not a pig breeder so maybe I'm missing some info?

Actually haven't really found the BPA all that informative, perhaps all will become crystal clear eventually. Arrrrggggg! ::) :o

The BPA is not very clear on much nowadays!

Ear notching is the approved mechanism - see the club's site on this

http://www.oxfordsandypigs.co.uk/breed-identification/

Tattooing is not used on OSB's, but is on say Gloucester Old Spots.

Now we need to be clear between tatooing for legal reasons and tattooing for breed reasons.  It may be the tatoo on your pig is the breeders herd mark which would give it legal identity.  Is it notched as well - and what does the BPA paperwork you should have got with it say?

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

chickenfeed

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »

we could start a rumour here robert  :roflanim:
no need to start rumors we like each other in public  :hug:

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 08:02:18 pm »
Hi, sorry to butt in on the love in chickenfeed and Robert! ;)

Oaklands, the BPA paperwork says Ear No: NWF/18 - tag, 2nd ID: blank space. No ear notches on my gilt. Is this OK?

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:20 pm »
i would say the original breeder has done it wrong  from what you describe :farmer:

Barnsnap

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
From the 1st January 2011 the rules changed and notching became the BPA requirement for OSB pedigree pigs.  Any pig born prior to this date may have been tattooed or notched by the breeder.  An ear tag is also required to match up with the ear notching and will show the Breeders HDL, the individual ID number of the Pig and on the underside, the Breeders Herd Number.
You do not need to tattoo and ear notch.  The BPA does have provision for double tagged pigs but this is by agreement with them.  Double tagged pigs cannot be shown at BPA Shows in OSB Breed classes.  Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:05:23 pm by Barnsnap »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:07 am »
Barnsnap,

Great to have an experienced OSB breeder and show-er join TAS !

Should have remembered that OSB's changed a couple of years ago.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 09:18:53 am »
I have asked for double tagged pigs to be considered by the BPA show committee as i think that it is discrimination against breeders who tag not to be able to show their pigs, they pay their subscriptions as much as any other breeder and therefore should be entitiled to take part in BPA events.
If necessary i will take this to the equal opportunities commision as i as a breeder that tags am not getting an equal opportunity to show my pigs in BPA events for which i pay for thro my subs. >:(
Mandy  :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 09:31:44 am »
I have asked for double tagged pigs to be considered by the BPA show committee as i think that it is discrimination against breeders who tag not to be able to show their pigs, they pay their subscriptions as much as any other breeder and therefore should be entitiled to take part in BPA events.
If necessary i will take this to the equal opportunities commision as i as a breeder that tags am not getting an equal opportunity to show my pigs in BPA events for which i pay for thro my subs. >:(
imo tattooing is more permanent tags can get removed & replaced a tattoo is there forever (unless you cut the ears off) so for show pigs less chance to cheat i would rather tattoo than tag anyday.

robert waddell

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 09:33:48 am »
the double tagging issue came up for discussion at the BPA AGM last year     it is supposed to be getting considered by the relevant committee    but this  is election year so in all probability nothing will be progressed until the elections are finished

from being present last year at the AGM    there appears to be an old guard that     it has worked this way for years why change      the vibes that i got was that double tagging could be abused by breeders and show people  to there advantage     it may surprise many just what goes on in pig showing to get that coveted Rosette :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:52 am »
imo tattooing is more permanent tags can get removed & replaced a tattoo is there forever (unless you cut the ears off) so for show pigs less chance to cheat i would rather tattoo than tag anyday.

Tattos permanent, don't think so........ i have several bought in GOS all of whom are allegedly tattooed, i cannot read any of the tattoos and have had them tagged even though as a small herd i know them all individually, as least if the powers that be come they are identifiable now by their tags. And nothing would surprise me about what goes on in the pig showing world its the same as in anything that involves winning & prizes!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:29 am »
the double tagging issue came up for discussion at the BPA AGM last year     it is supposed to be getting considered by the relevant committee    but this  is election year so in all probability nothing will be progressed until the elections are finished

from being present last year at the AGM    there appears to be an old guard that     it has worked this way for years why change      the vibes that i got was that double tagging could be abused by breeders and show people  to there advantage     it may surprise many just what goes on in pig showing to get that coveted Rosette :farmer:
Robert - probably the same as what goes on with certain "cliques" in the dog world  :o
Just noticed you've posted too Chickenfeed -  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS