Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging floppy eared pigs.  (Read 20911 times)

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: Ear tagging floppy eared pigs.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »
Don't worry fairhaven, when I moved to scotland, rules up here are different from those southerners and I still can't get my head around some of them, luckily I have happy hippo to call on when I need help. :wave: :thumbsup:
Think you have a typo error Linda  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:13 pm »
Glad someone else noticed!  :roflanim: was just chuckling about that myself  :roflanim: I have an image of a beaming hippo stuck in my head now  :roflanim:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:38 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: sorry karen, not saying you're a hippo  :-[
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:26:25 pm »
Found this topic interesting.
When we have had bought weaners in they have had the button tags in , our abattoir insists on the metal tags with our number on so they end up with 2 tags in and we have had quite a few torn ears  :(
So in theory could we just get the breeders to temporary mark them rather than button tag them then we can tag with metal tags for them to go for slaughter ?

Ohh and its all  in England
Graham

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:09 pm »
Yes
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:43 pm »
Don't worry fairhaven, when I moved to scotland, rules up here are different from those southerners and I still can't get my head around some of them, luckily I have happy hippo to call on when I need help. :wave: :thumbsup:
Think you have a typo error Linda  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
I thought we had another new member for a minute  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:24 am »
I am guessing the temporary marking only applies for weaners ?
If I was to buy an adult pig does would it have to have its tag in before it came to me or could it be slap marked  and I can put one of my tags in here ?
Graham

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:30:28 am »
yes it now only applies to weaners
slap marking is for identification of the pig once dead and on the hook      the slap mark would only be visible on white pigs when alive
adult pigs or pigs over a certain age    have to be individually identified   by notch  tag or tattooing the ear  and all have to be easily read :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:32:32 am »
well it applies up to 12 months

www.porkyquines.co.uk

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:49 am »
not that long ago all pigs moved on a temp paint mark     it was only a few breeders that did identify positively   pigs from there herd

since it was pigs that caused the close scrutiny of animal id   i wonder why piglets have not yet been brought under the same rules as lambs and calves :farmer:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:04 am »
yes its strange isn't it robert. They id to keep a trace and yet look at all the piglets that go out, they are far easier to hide as it were, just look at the micro piglets

www.porkyquines.co.uk

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
Hi all :wave:

Sorry to jump on this post with a question but im trying to work out the whole pedigree registration and marking business. ???  If a registered pig , ie an OSB, has a tattoo in its ear for ID, does it need to be notched as well as?

robert waddell

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:54 pm »
   large blacks   Hampshire and saddelbacks duroc berkshire and OSB all get notched if there breeder is happy with notching   the saddelback has a different system to the other breeds
all others  that come under the bpa are tattooed or double tagged and you have to state on the registered papers which method      single tag only if tattooed and notched      males are the first tin the litter  and the tags are on the right hand ear lookink from bum to head   females are on the left ear with a tag  :farmer:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:38:10 pm by robert waddell »

chickenfeed

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:38 pm »
 OSB's come under notching too

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 02:35:08 pm »
chickenfeed is correct   and duroc and berkshire as well     will amend the post  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS