Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dry flaky skin  (Read 2729 times)

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
Dry flaky skin
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »
Hi all

I am new to pig keeping and loving every minute, but have a problem with one of my pigs I have two Oxford sandy and black it has a skin problem looks like dry flaky skin.

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Re: Dry flaky skin
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »
Have they been wormed? If you used an avermectin, then it wont be lice, unless this  has worn off. If they haven't been treated against parasites, they could have lice or mange. Are they scratching a lot? Have you noticed any hair loss.
I have had lice with my OSB's, and I generally noticed the eggs which looked like little white dots in areas like: Under the chin, top of the legs. And then if you look, lots of little crabs are running all around the dry skin.

Sorry I couldn't give you a direct answer.
HTH

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »
Try giving a good brush which they will love and see if that helps.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:21 pm »
A couple of my sows have this at the moment I think its to do with moulting and the weather. I use a cheap baby oil rubbed all over and they seem to enjoy it. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:59:29 am »
Double-check for lice/mange, but as BB says - it could be the time of year & a good brush-in with baby oil will help.
Do they have access to a wallow?  As they will often have a good-old scratch when they're drying out - which helps to speed-up the process.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:02:34 am »
Hi all

Thanks for all the replys, I had a good look at the pigs today and flaky skin has gone not to sure if the good Scottish rain has anything to do with it. I have looked for eggs under chin and top of legs but all are ok, the flaky skin was just on the back of one pig, I am going to buy some baby oil will let you know how I get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS