Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming and vacs  (Read 2030 times)

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
worming and vacs
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:09:12 pm »
Hi i am new to sheep ownership i have just got my first few sheep 3portland xs, 4 pedigree portlands and 2 soay ewes. i just wondered what vaccinations and worming ect they should have?   
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
Re: worming and vacs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:28:00 pm »
Blimey, I'm new here but I've been keeping sheep quite a while and you're not asking much are you?   Do you have Tim Tyne's book?

Some of the answers depend on what land you're on and the veterinary history of the animals.  But worming is a complicated subject with 5 different classes of wormer and a lot of drug resistance in the population. 

I'd suggest you make friends with a vet - they generally offer free advice - and search some of the recent threads.  There's always a lot of discussion about medication.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:35 pm »
No not got book will see if i can get it i have a vet poping out thursday so will ask then but our land in on a hill with good drainage and never been grazed by sheep only cows.the sheep are this years lambs.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
Eblex do a variety of leaflets which are pretty good.

You need to decide what system will work best for you.

http://www.eblex.org.uk/returns/literature.aspx

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:31:13 pm »
I think a re-print or new edition is in hand - by Tim Tyne

Since you have the vet and are paying a call-out make sure to download absolutely everything he/she knows about the land and what treatments they recommend to other farmers.  And get some follow-up calls in afterwards.

Worming strategies have changed very recently so ask what he/she recommends.  There's an awful lot to pick up.

Do you know if your lambs were Heptavac'd, and which if any wormer they already have.  Were they Clik'd or was another pour-on used for flies.  Feet are another tricky area for sheep.

Steve's right though there's an awful lot of Eblex stuff to read and it's all important
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:33:36 pm by JFDI »

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS