Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Now I'm a corporate drop-out!!  (Read 8347 times)

wildwoods

• Joined Feb 2008
  • West Berkshire
Now I'm a corporate drop-out!!
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:38:10 pm »
Decided I wasn't going to do the corporate thing anymore, so put the suits, pointy toed shoes and the (large amount) of handbags in the loft. I now look spectacular in trackers, wellies and a couple of fleeces!

Just right for 2 Saddleback breeding sows, 1 maiden gilt and 4 grower/finishers, 30 Light and Red Sussex chickens, 3 apricot call ducks, 2 terriers and a husband who's not yet up a tree!

Next on the agenda (if I can get away with it) - Chocolate Runner Ducks, Norfolk Bronze turkeys - and  probably prozac for hubby!

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
Re: Now I'm a corporate drop-out!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:01 pm »
Hi wildwoods and welcome to the forums - must be great to be able to give it all up - i bet the fleeces look  great  :D the only problem with my jackets are there are never enough pockets!!! string / pliers / baler twine / pig nuts etc. etc. etc. dont worry about the prozac though , nothing like falling over in the mud whilst trying to stop the piggies from escaping to calm the nerves :D
cheers for now
guy 
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:58:42 am »
Welcome wildwoods, I dropped out a few years ago too, gave up my expensive suit and high heeled shoes, look rough most of the time, eek out a living doing photographs and anything else that will pay, guess what would not change it for the world!

I have three horses, five ryleand sheep, ducks (new this week) hens, two working dogs and a cat!

Hope that you enjoy your new life as much as me.

Rosey

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:07:06 am »
Hey welcome to the forums

must feel wonderful to give up the 9-5, im still communting every day but in about two years time i should be able to send my shirts and ties to the wardrobe in heaven!

;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:26 am »
Hi we dropped out over 5 years ago, since doing so have worked harder than ever before, for far less than ever before, wouldnt change a day of it.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:19 pm »
Welcome Wildwoods,

Giving up the suits and heels is my intention too. I have just managed to go part time at work giving me work life 50% and farm life 50% - it has already made such a difference!

I'm giving it one more year to develop new skills and wean myself off the comfort blanket that a salary provides, then a life in wellies to look forward to.  :D

Tell us more about your animals.

Pebbles

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:34:12 pm »
Though I don't wear a suit much, I would love to drop out. It has been on the cards for last 18 months but is not much nearer still. have to admit my dress sense has gone more rustic lately, big boots, fleece and jeans with pig bites today. Luckily we have no dress code at work, unless i have important visitors, they take me as i am. Congrats on taking the plunge, and welcome to the pleasantly bonkers world of AS.How  much land are you on? sounds like a nice menagerie.
carl

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:28:28 pm »
Hi Wildwoods (Paul Weller fan by any chance?). Dropping out will be the best thing you could ever do. We gave up busy Midlands for the Orkneys in July and we agreed this week we've never been happier. Look forward to hearing how you're getting on.

wildwoods

• Joined Feb 2008
  • West Berkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »
Thank you all for your welcomes.

And oddly I am partial to a little Paul Weller!

I know what folks mean when they say that they've never worked harder and yet at the same time never been happier or more content. I still live in the heart of the commuting belt and on my way back from the field for breakfast see the cars leaving for the daily crawl down the M4!!

We're expecting our second litter of piglets next month and I've just set some Hubbard meat bird eggs in the incubator, my polytunnel still needs to be readied for the end of the month. The greenhouse is almost done and we've just spent quite a few hours chasing chickens so that we can check for lice and pooey bottoms!

But hey, I have so many more hours in a day now that I don't have to crawl down the M4 - what else would I do with them?

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:30:48 pm »
Hi Wildwoods & welcome to the site  :)

We too dropped out last September & are about to pick up our first 2 Gossie weaners for fattening, a mangalitza swallowbellie boy pig as a pet & getting some chooks at the end of the month! also renovating our farmhouse.  It is really hard work physically & mentally but we wouldn't change for the world  ;)

Bye for now
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:23:40 am »
Hi and welcome Wildwoods, I'm new too and have received a very warm welcome myself.  The thing I love about being retired is I no longer dread Mondays.  The weekends never seemed to last long enough and the weekdays used to drag.  Now the time just seems to fly uniformly and I'm loving every minute of it!  Its great because if you dont get something done you'd planned to do, it doesnt matter, you just say "I'll do it tomorrow!"  Oh yes and tracky bottoms cover a multitude of sins dont they! :)
Hilary

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 06:19:26 pm »
daily crawl down the M4!!

arhhhhhhhhh lovely the M4, Cauldra roundabout, cardiff gate ,arrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh my home land lol
used to live in Newport don't miss it that much just miss the family that's all

hiya from fws havn't dropped out just never really dropped in lol i do plenty of contracted jobs nothing full time recently got some land next to my house and when am not working i work on the newly aquired land
:)
linz

skyebaby

• Joined Jan 2008
  • normandy, france
  • ++++paramore++++
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
We made the move four years ago. I had nails then - manicures every week, and bought clothes as a hobby. Had lots and lots of shoes and bags - just love them.  Now I have patches on my patches and a trip to the Distri Centre is a real treat. Just bought some new jeans and a pair of shoes recently and I am too afraid to wear them incase I spoil them!  Things do change but I agree with all the converted on this thread - you cannot really explain this life to anyone else - you really have to live it to appreciate the value of it. If I had to choose between the 'must have' pair of shoes and a bag of pig nuts there is no choice at all to be made - my four legged friend wins every time!

Welcome to this life wildwoods!

Kate

xskyex

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
Appologies - Skyebaby is my daughter - she didn't sign out from the TAS Junior section.

As I said, Welcome wildwoods!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »
I too would like to drop out but it will proberbly be another 5 years before I can do so. We have so much to do to the house and have just bought 6+acres of land so I need money. Also I have 2 children 9 & 13 so they are quite expensive to keep! Still as a midwife I work shifts mainly lates and nights so it fit in well with childcare and feeding animals etc. My husband works 6am til 2pm so he does the late smallholding/childcare.
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS