Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suppliers of loose / blown feed???  (Read 5770 times)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Suppliers of loose / blown feed???
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:09:24 pm »
I've followed a number of topics where it is always recognised that blown feed is considerably cheaper than bagged.  We've recently seen reasonably priced feed bins (http://www.symmsbins.co.uk/bins.htm) but when I've tried to locate a supplier of blown feed to do my own sums I've drawn blank.

So, up and down the country, where are you all sourcing your blown feed?  I'm located in the East Midlands and currently get bagged feed from Argo Feeds who are based in Penistone, South Yorkshire.

What price per tonne and what is the minimum delivery??

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Suppliers of loose / blown feed???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
Think it was this topic   http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=15126.0

You could try Thompson's of York 01904488388 they'll come to your area believe minimum is 4T or any of the bulk merchants Varley's, BOCM Paull's etc. or google bulk pig feed this throws up a number of suppliers too.
HTH
mandy :pig:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:23:42 pm by Fowgill Farm »

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
Thank you Mandy, I've made a couple of enquiries. 

One company that I didn't know about is only a few miles away from me have quoted but the saving is from them compared to bagged supplies from Argo is minimal!!  I'll keep looking .....
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:22:07 pm »
you should cut them out .............Find whot youre animals like then make it take mixt grain av cost £9 to 10 25 kilo bag they will sell 20 kilo .Right drive to the farm 1 ton off bruesed barley last year crop 100 pound then get 1 ton of Grain about £100 so thats £200 spent 1 bag kipled maze £8 and mix it all together 87 bags of feed thats about £2.50 a bag better than a £10 or £9 same with other feeds iv been doing this for some time you can put eney think in the bruser .Another tip iv done leave 2 foot round the field then harvist all the seeds etc chickins love it .These people make money out of people that just pay and dont bother on price.Iv got some 1 thats owns a press for hay or straw he pays £15 a bale and puts it in the press a nice square bloc of hay or straw comes out all bagd £6 per bag out of 1 bale he gets £42 pound per bale pet shops car boots etc .Thats good for a retired chap and its all cash .

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »
Many thanks VF ... some food for thought there, I'm not ruling anything in or out at this stage but looking to ensure that I'm getting the best value I can. I'm aware of another local pig farmer who I understand 'mills his own' so may talk to him too.

All other input welcome as always.

Many thanks

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »
We use Varley's and they charge £280 a tonne at the moment.  Minimum delivery is 3 tonne.  Great service from them and good food  :)

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:02:34 pm »
We paid 300 per tonne in April for bagged feed. I guess that was a pretty good deal.   

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:54:40 pm »
BOCM are quoting me £360 for bagged sow an weaner or £280 for loose with a minimum delivery of 4 tonnes..........Syms bins arriving next week!

Debbie

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
BOCM are quoting me £360 for bagged sow an weaner or £280 for loose with a minimum delivery of 4 tonnes..........Syms bins arriving next week!

Debbie

Thanks Debbie,

I've done some phoning around this week and at this point have not located a supplier who makes it worth my while making the investment in a hopper.  I recently (4 weeks ago ish) was paying £309 /tonne in sacks from Argo.  BOCM at £280 / tonne blown still isn't worth it for me.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »
Hi Pete, not heard of argo?  Where are they ( and you) based?
Debbie

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
Ok, lets take this all one step further!
Can anyone else recomend other feed suppliers who will deliver in bulk?  Until a few minutes ago I had never heard of ARGO and there must be plenty of others out there that would welcome our business?
BOCM is obviously one of the big names, however their costings are prohibitive.  If we are to continue in pigs we need to reduce the costings as much as possible..........over to you?
Debbie

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
Hi Debbietownhead

Hi Pete, not heard of argo?  Where are they ( and you) based?
Debbie

re Argo Feeds ...
Kirkwood Mill
Sheffield Road
Penistone
Sth Yorks
S36 6HQ
Tel: 01226 762341

http://www.argofeeds.com/pig.html

We are in the East Midlands, DE72 area, 1 mixed tonne or more delivered free to us.

Are you say, I would be very interested to hear of other more competitive companies ....

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »
Try Ian Mosey(feed) ltd York 01347 888636 family run business very reasonable and reliable
Arl

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 03:26:47 pm »
east coast vinners   they do blown feeds     also do tote bags  ( 1 ton)    they are at stonehaven   and they also deliver to yorkshire   they do game food to the estates :farmer:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 06:39:47 pm »
Arl & Robert,

Many thanks, I am sure that I'll be too far south for East Coast Vinners but Ian Mosley feeds will be worth asking.

There are lots of TAS members north of the boarder so East Coast Vinners should be a good lead for some.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:42:20 pm by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS