Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners Wanted!!!  (Read 2593 times)

paulsou

• Joined May 2009
Weaners Wanted!!!
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »
I am looking for a 2 -3 of Weaners for Milton Keynes area, this is first lot of pigs for me, i have been told Saddleback or berkshire are good pigs to start with but i could be pusuaded on other breeds, let me know if you have any for sale!!!!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Weaners Wanted!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:59:28 pm »
Hello,

Oxford Sandy & Blacks are a very docile breed, ideal for the first timer. Heather Royle (Breed Society Secretary) could direct you to a local breeder - Heather's email is hmroyle@aol.com.

Cheers

Gavin

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:58 pm »
As a breeder of Berkshires, I will have to sing their praises.
They are a very docile pig - they taste incredibly nice, whether as joints, chops, diced or in sausages.., they eat up everything that you can throw at them (what pig doesn't), and PG Wodehouse sang their praises - what more do you need.??......

I have never had a problem with boar taint with my particular Berkshires, and generally speaking I run on boar pigs for meat, as the gilts are the ones that sell straight away from each litter. I do not castrate said boar pigs.

My sows are more like dogs than pigs, and will follow me wherever I go, without the aid of a bucket full of food, and the boar is a great big (and I mean big) softie..

Hope this helps.
Catherine.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:04 am »
To add to the confusion  Gloucester Old Spots.  Really gentle, very sweet, great bacon and joints. 

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:04:31 am »
Second that GOS are so yummy and such  nice natured pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS