Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Has anyone any idea what this could be?  (Read 2553 times)

Growler

• Joined Dec 2008
Has anyone any idea what this could be?
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
One of our hens back end is always wet and the feathers around are black and wet as if her back end has been wet and then she has sat down on the dry earth. I have noticed that the liquid passed shoots out. I'm not explaing this very well. She is no different any other way, eating, drinking and scratching about all day. Has anyone any ideas?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Has anyone any idea what this could be?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »
Sounds like she's got the runs!  A few of mine have had the runs recently so I stopped all treats for a while.  I have wondered though about whether it is all the new rich grass growing through.  Horses often get the runs for a few days at this time of year until there bodies get used ot the new grass.

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
Re: Has anyone any idea what this could be?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:30:31 pm »
I have always been told that chickens should not have access to long, lush grass, hence I have goats and tame cows eating down the individual breed pens, and the grass where my free-rangers go before the chickens can eat it. Also, have your chickens been wormed recently - I tend to worm mine Spring and Autumn, and this seems to keep them in reasonably good health. Don't worry about the squitty bum, though, as chickens do seem to get that occasionally!
Catherine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS