Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep dog - taking the plunge!  (Read 4515 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Sheep dog - taking the plunge!
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:32:22 am »
Well, after a couple of years of dithering, rattling buckets, running after steeplechasing ewes and scrounging help from friends and neighbours, I have bitten the bullet! Yesterday I went and picked a collie pup from the litter of a shepherd friend's bitch. I know it means another winter without a sheepdog, but at least this one will grow up used to my voice and whistle. Now, I've trained gun dogs before, but not sheepdogs: can someone recommend any books or DVDs that might give me some help (the breeder has promised to help, but I'd prefer not to look more of a numpty than I have to)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep dog - taking the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:24 am »
This one was recommended on the farming forum - might be worth considering
http://www.bordercollie.gb.com/text1_8.html

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »
My choices are DVD : "The Shepherd's Pup" : Derek Scrimgeour.  But first, read his book, "Talking Sheepdogs."

If you can, try to read / view a few different ones and see which chimes with you.  There are many, very different approaches to training working sheepdogs, so pick one that makes sense to you.  And ideally, one where you can get some training for yourself with the pup in that approach nearby or somewhere convenient for you.

Glad to hear you've got yourself a pup - sorry I never turned up a trained one for you; the local guy I told you about seems to only ever take on bitches. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »
I have found these DVDs good
This is a preview First Steps in BORDER COLLIE SHEEPDOG TRAINING - Teach a herding stock dog to round up sheep#!
Rose

I got the video and went to Andy for a training day......turned out my dog was trained......I wasnt!!! But can recommend the DVD as a great training aid.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »
Ditto, great DVD, went to see andy with Moz my bc, turned out he loves sheep, tried to lick one, the sheep ran off, moz showed NO more interest in sheep, nothing, total indifference to them

I told him I did, I sat him down, I said "moz, your not just letting your breed down, your letting YOURSELF down"

He's been depressed ever since, unless he's eating, he's not depressed when he's eating, but the rest of the time......

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:57 am »
There's a good section on dogs in Tim Tyne's Sheep book...

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:01 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations! I have the Tim Tyne book, and have read the sheepdog section, but though I like his model farmer (in waterproofs!), dog & sheep layouts, I find the sound and movement in a DVD useful to make things clearer. Just have to make sure the pup watches too!
Alistair, feel sorry for you and Moz. A friend of mine has a former pet lamb ewe that used to play with her collie. Now she (the ewe) not only likes dogs, she jumps up at people like the dog does!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »
You won't be far from Derek Scrimgeour! Why don't you treat yourself to a days training with one of his dogs?

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 05:17:29 pm »
Or isn't this what you meant ?  :roflanim:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 11:32:50 am »
Not tried to attach a photo before. This is the wee fella, very cute! He's only young but has already learned that cats can't be herded  :D
Moleskins: love it! We live by the Tweed, so I'm sure he'll take the plunge there when he's a bit bigger!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:26:49 pm »
Ahhh, bless - that spot in the middle of the top of the head can be a feature of Killibrae Laddie's (or Jim's) descendents - do you know the background of your lovely wee fella?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:50 pm »
 :love: he looks a real character  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS