Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Greedy boy  (Read 2576 times)

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
Greedy boy
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »
We put a mollassed mineral bucket lick in the boy's field this evening for the first time and our big greedy tup just stood scraping and licking away for 10 minutes until I removed it.....none of the others got a look in (no change there!) Will they just stand there and go at it all night or regulate their own intake?  :sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Greedy boy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
After the initial novelty value has worn off, they should regulate their own intake.  But too much can give them the skits, so you could put the lid back on once everyone has had a go and open it up for an hour or so each day.  They tend to drink more water when they have a lick too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:29 pm »
I never thought of putting the lid back on  ::)  Thanks so much

bangbang

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:10 pm »
I never thought of putting the lid back on  ::)  Thanks so much
Me neither..I would have come up with other strenious, technical ways to deter him.......anything but the obvious.! :innocent:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:54:20 pm »
We have a similar problem with a big greedy ewe who hogs the lick. I've also been keeping the lid on when there are lots of flies around as the molasses gets stuck to their faces and makes them more attractive to the flies.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
Tell me about it- lifting a 25kg bucket over the fence whilst warding off eager tups with a bad back isn't the easiest option....

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:21:01 pm »
We have a similar problem with a big greedy ewe who hogs the lick. I've also been keeping the lid on when there are lots of flies around as the molasses gets stuck to their faces and makes them more attractive to the flies.
I cured this with a garlic lick... it is so strong the flies don't wanna go anywhere near it or the sheep :o0
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS