Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long  (Read 2057 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
How long
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:16 pm »
How long can you keep home made plant food? I was going to make up a dustbin full of comfry and water let it rot down, but wasn't shore if it would keep over the winter.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: How long
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
Can't find anything specific, but this link is interesting
http://www.allotment.org.uk/grow-your-own/comfrey
my pigs, geese & chooks love the stuff too  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
If you keep it covered it will last until next year.   It is easier though to not add water at the rotting stage but put just the comfrey leaves into a bucket or barrel or dustbin and just collect the drips from underneath, or tip it - far less volume to store.  Dilute to use, about 1:10.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:41:20 am »
Thanks for that timely reminder FW,
 I was thinking of giving mine the final chop of the year  tomorrow between rain  sessions , then storing the resultant juices  & some fresh chopped leaves in the chest freezer in vac packs .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Mel

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:15 am »
I have always cut the Comfrey down and put it into large barrels with water,it only takes a couple of weeks to make the "Comfrey Tea" especially if it is hot weather,my barrels are covered with lids,after a couple of weeks you can smell it,it is really very pungent~so must be ready ;D

I have used this on everything this year with great success,my largest tomato crop ever,still going strong,the Pattypan squash love it,though I am not too sure about the chillies.?!But they are going well at the moment. :)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:16 am »
Thanks for all the advice  :thumbsup: . I will do that little job today if I can stay upright long enough in these strong winds and torrential down pores  :raining: .

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »
I do the same with rubarb leaves, I read it in home farmer and its a great way of keeping bugs of the cabdages - but I wonder if you could mix rubarb and comfry - what would that do? has anyone tried it?
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS