Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a couple of pygmy goats.  (Read 2059 times)

pollygone

• Joined Aug 2012
Thinking of getting a couple of pygmy goats.
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »
I am not completely new to  goat keeping as had standard size goats many years ago, but have not had pygmies so have a few questions.
Would they run with sheep ok? I have sheep netting then 3 strands of wire and offset electric fencing, would this keep them in, I don't really want to fence them in a small area with higher fencing unless I have to, I thought it would be nice if they could have the run of the place like the sheep do. I am thinking of getting a small movable field shelter / shed for shelter, would this be ok for winter nights are are they best kept in a stable overnight?
I realise I would probably have to keep them in a stable to start with to tame them a little and "bucket train" them.
I have plenty of good quality hay and grass all year round, I suspect they might need supplementary feeding in winter though, with a mix or nut or something - whats best? My ewes are not in lamb and don't have any sheep mix even in winter and they are still too fat, they do get a bit of sugar beet if there is snow on the ground though. And of course plenty of hay but with all the grass I have they rarely eat it all.
I want to start off with a couple of females so that if I get on with them ok I would like to breed from them next year.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Thinking of getting a couple of pygmy goats.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:52 pm »
If ever my goats are ill, the first question the vet asks is .....do they run with sheep?  I personally do not keep my sheep with the goats but people do mix them.
My own personal view is that goats need feed all year round - obviously the pygmy goats do not need much.  But, most of the feeds contain vitamins and minerals which are important, and at least here, I do not think they would do well without hard feed.  They are fed hay all year round as well, and  never leave any.
With the pygmy goats its not so much getting over, as getting under the fence, and even through the bit of gate between the gatepost and the gate!!  Being small, and agile, they can get through the tiniest space.  I use sheep netting, as close to the ground as possible.  They do not seem to respect electric fences, and get tangled in it.
Some of mine are in pig arks, with half doors, and others in field shelters, with a gate across, which is closed at night.  We are high up, in an exposed area, and they have managed fine in some bad winters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS