Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will we be buying bacon and pork sausages next year?  (Read 5595 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Will we be buying bacon and pork sausages next year?
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:02 am »
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/19558714

interesting reading, but will the british public pay more for their pork?
Still selling mine at the same price it was 3yrs ago! so i doubt it.
Mandy :pig:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Will we be buying bacon and pork sausages next year?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:27 am »
As the article says, both beef and lamb prices have increased over recent years and it has not had a significant impact (although over time lamb consumption is declining in the UK). The supermarkets have held back increases in pork prices as there's always been a plentiful supply from Europe and they can dictate prices. If availability is declining in countries such as Holland and Denmark, both due to rising costs and the long overdue implementation of EU welfare policies, then the mass market will have to increase prices paid for UK-produced pork which in turn should allow individual producers to increase the price they charge for niche-market products from rare breeds and high welfare production. I know that doesn't help you short term with rocketing feed prices on top of straw, fuel and vet's costs but if you can hang on in there, there may be a faint glimmer at the end of a very long tunnel.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:29:54 pm »
Hurrah! A glimmer would be good, 'cos from where I'm standing it's looking pretty darn dark and depressing :gloomy: .

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:05:04 pm »
Hurrah! A glimmer would be good, 'cos from where I'm standing it's looking pretty darn dark and depressing :gloomy: .

Allison
Ditto  :(
Facing the prospect of culling my two older Large Black sows because their last litters were smaller than I'd hoped (well, needed really unless I can sell their weaners for pork for £70 each  :-\ doubt it)
Since it's costing more to produce a litter of piglets, I need sows who are more 'productive' - keeping these ladies makes no economic sense - but how can you put a value on a bloodline  ???

Oh, lets hope that glimmer comes quick  :fc:
Karen  :raining:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »
Personally I think the glimmer is a mirage. America is in drought and crops are low, the farmers in this country are getting half the amount of grain per acre. Feed prices are rising and its only September it's going to be a long winter.  :gloomy:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:35:45 pm »

OK, grain yields are down and quality is also down.

So although total production decreases, it also means that a larger proportion of production than usual will not be fit for human consumption, and will therefore be made into animal feed. So, we will pay more for loaves of bread, but that doesn't necessarily mean that pig food prices will increase, does it?

Can anybody remember what the outcome was the last time this happened?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:40 pm »
that is wrong womble :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »
Thanks for that Robert, I suspected as much  ;D .   Why though?  What's the evidence to the contrary?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:37:39 pm »
The evidence is that my feed has gone up by £30 a ton in the last couple of weeks and it hasn't stopped yet.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:14:23 am »
David in a good year bountiful harvests and all that bumper crops silos splitting at the seams etc   the millers and the brewers   can control what the requirements are for each industry   brewing is nitrogen content      milling is bushel weigh     they want the best and reject the rest    the rejects go for feed   or ethanol production            now a poor year the benchmark for rejection is lowered to give them the volume needed  to maintain production     it is just one of farmings little hurdles that has to be accepted by the grain producers :farmer:

also in a poor year there is a higher proportion of tailings   or thin ears with barley/wheat it is just husks no grain to speak off        wheat is just the seed  no covering
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:46:09 am by robert waddell »

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 08:58:38 am »
Ok, it's tough out there and feed prices aren't coming down anytime soon. So instead of just complaining, let's make this a slot where we pass on suggestions that can help others save costs.

All but the smallest producers should look at installing a feed hopper and getting feed delivered in bulk rather than in bags which saves costs.

Don't be too sentimental about old pigs who are not paying their way. Send them off to slaughter and bring on a replacement.

Cutting back on concentrates needs to be done carefully to avoid causing an imbalance in the pigs' diet but our rare and traditional breeds can be quite adaptable. You can reduce the concentrates fed by around 20% and feed cheaper root vegetables such as swedes and mangolds to make up the difference. They have the advantage over 'other' veg that they can be stored and don't attract wasps etc.

With rare breeds, don't feed the more expansive 'grower' rations. Sow & Weaner nuts at around 16% protein are fine. Anything higher is just wasted. Make sure that your bought-in feed has  Lysine in the ingredients. This is an amino acid which helps the pig's digestion and builds muscle rather than fat.

Now come on, let's help others with other suggestionsw that you know work.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:51 am »
Well said Mr Pig  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:57 am »
Do we all think that the legislation about feeding "kitchen waste" should be overturned?
 :idea:  I'll start another thread on this  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
Yes yes and yes.  And supermarket veg waste.   But with some rules and common sense for both.  For example, what about washing the veg first to get anything undesirable off?   Tamsaddle

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »
New thread started  :thumbsup: 
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS